One month brood along / integrate along - from feed store to coop

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
7 Years
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
It's been nearly 4 years since we've added new chicks to our flock of hens. Rather than tack onto my existing brooder set up and early integration article, I decided to do a brood along / integrate along thread for 2024, so I can touch on chick development and integration as it happens, and maybe folks who are brooding or integrating for the first time will find it helpful to have someone going through the same process with them. :)

Specific set up info in my article linked above. As I brood outdoors in the run with a mama heating pad, I will include temperatures as I know a common concern is that chicks are too cold or too young to deal with being outside, or around older birds. I won't be updating daily but just adding on as things happen. My goal is to have the chicks fully off heat and integrated into the coop in a month's time - let's see if that happens!

3/29 Welcome home!
Chicks are 2-3 days and 9-10 days old. 57F daytime and dry.

We picked up 4 pullet chicks from the feed store: a newly arrived Silver-Laced Wynadotte, Barnevelder, Blue (Copper?) Marans, and a Crevecoeur that's one week older than the rest. Once we got home I dipped everyone's beaks in water, then pushed them under the heating pad (they immediately popped back out). It took them a little bit to figure out that the heating pad was "mama" and then it went from shrill screaming to blissful silence for most of the afternoon. As the Crevecoeur was a bit lethargic and pasted up when I checked on them later, I picked the poop off her rear and gave her 1-2 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench directly in the mouth.

3/30 First full day home. Temperature and weather same as day before.

Admittedly I find the first night to be miserable and sleepless, as I constantly worry it's too cold or that the heating pad malfunctioned. This is our 4th batch of chicks and it's always the same old worries! But everyone survived the night under the mama heating pad, with ambient temps around 40F or so.

The Crevecoeur was much more bouncy and energetic. Since I hadn't witnessed the chicks eating or drinking for any significant length of time (they spent most of the previous afternoon sleeping), I once again dipped their beaks in water, and tapped at the feeder to simulate a hen encouraging chicks to eat. They took to both eating and drinking after that, and even enjoyed spending some time in the sunshine in the back of the brooder.

2024chicks01.jpg
2024chicks02.jpg

This is awesome... Even if I've been thru a few chicks myself over the last few years, its always refreshing to hone back up and neat new things I can learn from others...
Thank you for taking the time to put this together.. ♥️
My husband laughed that I couldn't stop worrying about the chicks freezing overnight, and asked, "Aren't you always giving advice on the chicken forum about this stuff?" Well, it's easy to advise someone - it's different when I'm the one doing it! So I figured we can suffer together. :)

Very tiny update: It's 7 PM and the chicks are still doing their cycle of warming up, running out to eat and drink, then a bit of stretching and grooming practice. They already proved last night that they know to return to the heating pad as the light wanes, but just as a precaution we will still check to make sure they're "in bed" by 7:30 or so.

My husband laughed that I couldn't stop worrying about the chicks freezing overnight, and asked, "Aren't you always giving advice on the chicken forum about this stuff?" Well, it's easy to advise someone - it's different when I'm the one doing it! So I figured we can suffer together. :)
The 'laughable' irony of this is the timing of your thread.
My 1st official test mate hatch started yesterday... Day 20 and 8 out and dry so far. I built a brooder room in my pole barn where all the coops are. (Michigan weather)
As soon as all have hatched they are going out. (Always kept them inside til feathered) so this is a first for me. Brooder room is adjacent to the Marans coop with a pass thru, line of sight wall for immediate integration mode. (Also a first without a broody to help at chick age 😉)

So to say how interesting this thread is, is an understatement... I'm very curious to see how the flock reacts to the new little ones and how long it takes for integration.

🤣And yes, I'll be running in circles today screaming "what have I forgot to do? Their all gonna DIE!?!" 🤣

Bravo! :clap I'm just a few weeks in front of you with my batch of 4. Did you do anything different to your MHP this year? I really changed mine up this year as I replaced my ole reliable heat pad with a new one. It's been great but they're now at that stage where they can't decide whether to go under or on top. And on top is awkward as it's just the pad in a hammock sort of look as I draped it over a metal frame but I cut all of the metal bars in the middle out. Anyhoo, they're goofy and 4-5 weeks old now but I can call another outdoor start successful! I love your set up!

I'm very curious to see how the flock reacts to the new little ones and how long it takes for integration.
Most of mine have already lost interest haha - they'll come by and wipe their beaks off on the brooder and then just wander away again.
Did you do anything different to your MHP this year? I really changed mine up this year as I replaced my ole reliable heat pad with a new one. It's been great but they're now at that stage where they can't decide whether to go under or on top.
I also replaced the heating pad, my old one was probably going on 15 years old and frankly barely made it through the last brood. :eek: And I did add some scraps of flannel to help hold heat in, but honestly don't think it makes a difference. Otherwise it's the same beat up wire frame that I've used the last 2 times.

By the first morning 2 of the chicks had already gotten in the "tummy" of the heating pad set up (the U shaped opening between top and bottom panels, which is cooler, and older chicks normally sleep there exclusively), so so much for me worrying about them being cold.
mama2.JPG

Mine is the exact same thing. (It's funny how much we have in common.) My good ole 20year old sunbeam, Blooie advised me many times to ditch it and I finally did. So anyway, same frame and same tummy like pad on underside but what I did to prevent them from climbing in there is I snipped most of the bars off except the edges. I had to use DH's bolt cutters... Now challenge has been raising it up, I took the pad off the metal frame and bungee'd inside of a wooden crate. I'm ready for them to graduate off of heat!

4/2 Brooder cleaning. Chicks are 6 and 13 days old (just going to assume they're on the younger side from now on). 67F daytime and dry.

I claim this is a zero clean brooder, so how does that work? Simple: because the brooder sits on an established deep litter run, I just stir the bedding around for 5 seconds, and voila, clean enough.

Once the chicks join the flock I'll move the brooder aside and the hens will stir up and disperse all the used litter there in a couple of hours.

4/3 First rain. Chicks are 7 and 14 days old. 51F daytime and rainy.

Forecast of 1/4" rain overnight. The first time I brooded outside and it rained, I brought the entire brooder into the garage - that's a lot of work! The second time, I used greenhouse panels set at a slant to block off rain intrusion from the wire mesh sides. Third time's the charm? I'm doing absolutely nothing this time, other than putting the heating pad controller in a bucket to keep it dry.

2024chicks03.jpg

The spot the brooder currently sits in stays mostly dry even with heavy rain (the hens usually shelter there, that's how I know), and with some 3" or so of dry deep litter built up under the brooder, any water seepage should stay beneath the surface.

I checked on the babies in the morning and the controller was dry despite the lid on the bucket being completely full of rainwater, and brooder was dry as well. 👍

Probably hard to tell with a photo, but you can compare how dark and moist the ground is outside the brooder compared to pale and dry on the inside.

2024chicks04.jpg

Back
Top Bottom