One of my hens didn't come out of the coop this morning

pattyfan

Chirping
Jan 3, 2020
Hi everyone. Normally all 4 of my hens bolt out the coop in the morning when I let them out. This morning one of my hens (2 years old) has stayed inside. I"m a new chicken owner and don't really know if this is cause for alarm or not. She looks normal to me. Her feathers look normal. I don't know what else to look for. I pet her a little bit (which she usually lets me do) and she didn't make any sounds, which is unusual. Should I get a vet to come out? It's expensive but I can do that if it's necessary. I just don't know if I should wait and see if she comes out or what else I should do instead of getting him to come out. Thanks for any help.

Oh, don't worry about it. Mine get in moods all the time and don't leave the coop for hours. They don't come out if it's cold or rainy or snowy or if they heard a hawk.

Check her eyes and vent. If they're clear and she's walking = she's fine. Try to offer her her favorite snack if you're really worried. If she eats it, she's ok.

mine is lazy sometimes, she eats and drinks normally but sometimes wants to sleep in, i would check throughout the day if she’s eating and drinking and also check her poops :thumbsup

I don't know if she laid yesterday. She hasn't today. She also hasn't eaten or drunk anything today. It's hard to check one hen's poop. I will try to stay out there and see but there aren't any bloody poops or anything in the run. I did notice that when I checked on her, her back side (sorry, I don't know the right words) / her butt area was going in and out, almost like breathing.

I don't know if she laid yesterday. She hasn't today. She also hasn't eaten or drunk anything today. It's hard to check one hen's poop. I will try to stay out there and see but there aren't any bloody poops or anything in the run. I did notice that when I checked on her, her back side (sorry, I don't know the right words) / her butt area was going in and out, almost like breathing.
If she isn’t eating or drinking that’s very concerning. Have you checked her crop? Put her in a pen by herself to see if she’s pooping. If she’s egg bound she won’t be able to poop.

I
If she isn’t eating or drinking that’s very concerning. Have you checked her crop? Put her in a pen by herself to see if she’s pooping. If she’s egg bound she won’t be able to poop.
My hen is staying on the perch like yours this morning and she is not eating or drinking either! I noticed a little blood in her poo😢 does anyone know what is wrong with her?

Back
Top Bottom