One week old chicks dying from cold!

jenniferlamar70

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Northern California
Hey guys I have an emergency.. My mama hen left all her 1 week old babys out in the cold. 3 died and the rest are laying down shivering and chirping. Ibe brought them in the house under the heat lamp. Is there anything else I can do for them?

Sad to say, I think you are doing about all you can for them. If you haven't, shrink down their area (bit still allow a place away from the direct heat in case they get too warm) and put some shavings or something down to keep them up off the ground. Sorry for your loss but best of luck on the survivors!!

Sad to say, I think you are doing about all you can for them.  If you haven't, shrink down their area (bit still allow a place away from the direct heat in case they get too warm) and put some shavings or something down to keep them up off the ground.  Sorry for your loss but best of luck on the survivors!!  

Thanks. I'm not sure what else I could do either. I plan on keeping them inside now though. Don't want to take any chances..

Quote:
Sorry for your loss.

Yes, keep them inside and keep them warm. Make sure they are drinking well. You may need to show them the water or dip their beaks in the water since they were with Mom initially. After they have drank, introduce them to the feed. You can make a wet mash out of your chick starter - just put a small amount in a bowl and add a little warm water, mix it to the consistency of oatmeal. Chicks seem to love wet food.

Keep us posted.

Sorry for your loss.

Yes, keep them inside and keep them warm. Make sure they are drinking well.  You may need to show them the water or dip their beaks in the water since they were with Mom initially.  After they have drank, introduce them to the feed.  You can make a wet mash out of your chick starter - just put a small amount in a bowl and add a little warm water, mix it to the consistency of oatmeal.  Chicks seem to love wet food.

Keep us posted.

Update
All the chicks have come back from the verge of death. I bright mama in and put her in the cage also. Chicks perked right up when they saw her.

Back
Top Bottom