open air coop finished today

brandonstokley

Songster
Oct 4, 2022
Crawfordville, Florida
took me long enough but today was the day.

is it perfect...no
is it going to work...yup!

don't judge my unkept yard. spring has barely sprung

IMG_0229.jpeg

Looks nice!

It's hard to tell, did you put hardware cloth on the rafters under the plastic? If not, then I'd consider adding it to seal up the roof so no predators can get in. Everything likes chicken.
there isn't hardware cloth up there but my yard is electric fenced, aproned around the bottom and a hawk net is going to cover the entire yard. just arrived today.

The structure looks great!
Where's the mess? Lol you should see our yard.

So, are you going to add solid roofing?
I haven't had much success using tarps or canopy tents for anything much in FL with our rains. The water pools (even where you think it shouldn't) and drags the material down on top of whatever you're trying to cover.

On our recent open-air build, we used polycarbonate roofing which only ran about $20 a panel, our 8x8 only needed 4 panels but we used 5 to make a front and back overhang.

The structure looks great!
Where's the mess? Lol you should see our yard.

So, are you going to add solid roofing?
I haven't had much success using tarps or canopy tents for anything much in FL with our rains. The water pools (even where you think it shouldn't) and drags the material down on top of whatever you're trying to cover.

On our recent open-air build, we used polycarbonate roofing which only ran about $20 a panel, our 8x8 only needed 4 panels but we used 5 to make a front and back overhang.
I do want to solidify the roof but I was running out of budget on materials and I already had this plastic. im hoping it will last the season and ill put something else up in the fall.

I do want to solidify the roof but I was running out of budget on materials and I already had this plastic. im hoping it will last the season and ill put something else up in the fall.

I totally understand that problem!
It should be okay for now during our "dry" season, but once those heavy late spring rains start it is going to come down.

Just trying to spare you a midnight in the soaking rain, bracing it up with poles and sticks, and stabbing "strategic" holes in it to reduce the weight while thinking frantically of where to stash your birds until you can fix the roof...
You can probably tell I've done all of that, just not with the birds, lol.

Looks very nice!

Try Craigslist -- people sometimes have free metal roofing to give away a couple pieces at a time.

The chickens won't care if the colors don't match. ;)

Back
Top Bottom