Open Coop Concept Planning

MysticUniKitty

Crowing
Mar 2, 2019
North Texas,Collin County
So we started making a run that would attach to our stalls, but now I just want a nice smaller secure area for my feathered friends. The stalls are becoming a pain to try and predatorproof them as there are too many tiny gaps everywhere at odd angles making it unsafe. We live in north central Texas, so we have tons of hot dry temps for much of the year, we have heavy rains during "winter" time, and of course tornado and hurricane season. Our barn was great at first but then we had snake issues, (huge snake issues), then mice and rat issues, and then raccoon issues. We tried meshing everything off and still our chickens were being killed so now i just want to start from scratch and make the mesh as tight as possible with digging barriers. But I also want my flock to have as much air flow as possible during the summer as it can get absolutely unbearable for them and cooling off. We currently have chicks as we are having to start over, we have EEs, OEs, and BYMs for our good layers, trying out some Andalusians to see how they go, and then my breeding flock of Cochins (which will arrive in two weeks). Right now everyone is either in the shed brooder or in a somewhat secure fenced part of the barn (crossing fingers here).

I looked at many of the concepts on here as i wanted a good open idea but would be fairly easy for someone that is not very good with building and I drew this up, I know it's a mess as far as drawing goes. But going to try and explain and see what y'all think.
20210130_171957-jpg.2509817

Sorry it's sideways i kept trying to turn it and it wouldn't. Anyways.
We have three posts already cemented into the ground, the other three just need to have the cement mixed and posts set, but weather is not being kind so far. We have some long boards from an old round pen that we are hoping to use for the top and bottom horizontal rails. I plan to use some 2x3s for framing the door and going diagonal or straight up and down for mid support for mesh. The actual door will be a cheap wood screen door from Lowe's that we'll add mesh and a chicken pop door to it. We'll use 1/2" wire hardware cloth mesh for all the sides and then a small foot or two wide mesh skirting will be buried all the way around it. We have some tin and galvanized aluminum laying around and hoping to make the roof with that at a slight angle to help rain slide off and not pool on top. The taller side will face either to the north or south I'm not sure yet? We always have wind at our place it seems, either from the north, or the south or the east. so having a permanent door and window configuration is troubling, My thought was to do an open concept with traps for blocking one end and part of the sides with some hooks to secure it, the hooks would be on either end that way in the summer they are protected during storm season, and then could be switched to the north side during winter so they are protected from frostbite during the winter (if you can call it that?) Then we would have moveable roosts and nestboxes so they could be moved from one side to the other as well. This is basically to keep them contained at night, and have a safe place to dodge into from hawks and eagles. Most of the time they will be free ranging, but this structure will be about 23 ftx 12ft in length and width.

Let me know if you see something I'm missing or if my planning might not be the best? We only have the three posts in the ground so we still have a lot of play with this.

Chicken Tax!!
20210130_134714.jpg

Attachments

• 20210130_171957.jpg
    20210130_171957.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 125
I'm looking at an open coop too and have the same problem of getting storms from any direction.

I don't have a design finalized yet, but I wanted to note that you need to make sure that you've got a sufficient support structure for the weight of your roof and any possible snow load -- even if you're like us and only get significant snow once every 3-5 years.

No chicken pancakes. :)

I have an open coop which I built myself, and your plans definitely looked better than mine. I started off with a very basic plan but ended up just building/adjusting to any problems I came across. I call it “reactionary” building - and definitely don’t suggest it!
What worked for me was studying my weather patterns extensively, this helped determine which way to place my coop. Currently, I have a plywood board I place on the open north/east side to block the winter wind when necessary. But sometimes the board falls down and it’s just a hassle to deal with. It would’ve been great if I had added hooks to hang it on, so I’ll be working on that this spring.

@ScratchNbawk and @3KillerBs Thank you so much! Yes the roof needs to be sturdy, either for snow(haven't had measureable amounts in my area for like umm 9 years?) but you're right, i need to plan for it just in case. And it needs to be sturdy against our crazy winds or it'll blow off. I'm going to look into framing for that today! So thank you!!

I'm going to look at some of the old weather reports and see if my thoughts are correct on weather. If my memory is correct (hah haha) I believe spring weather comes from the SW or W. Summer we don't get much as it's dry. Fall we get from the South and South East sometimes due to hurricane season. Winter time is looking like it's all coming from the W or North West.

I like the thought of tarps as they can be easily move to shield in a hurry if something pops up. OH! and my horse stalls that previous owner put up will also be on the west side to help block some of the wind and weather(at least the brunt of it). If anyone has some guidance if the tarps would be awful or if i need them as tightly anchored, feel free to chime in!

Again thanks guys! I'm going to do a little more research. I gotta wait another week before i can place the other 3 posts with cement. So plenty of time to start ironing out the possible problems!

I like the thought of tarps as they can be easily move to shield in a hurry if something pops up.

I'd think that wind is likely to beat the tarps to pieces.

We're planning on using hurricane ties to hang our joists and to secure everything with bolts or lag screws rather than nails.

You'll probably want to put the solid walls to the south and west to provide summer shade as well as winter storm protection. Have you seen this coop? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-coop-build-pic-heavy.1371038/

I was going to use tarps initially, but the wind is really crazy here too - I thought it would cause a lot of wear and tear in a short period of time. I also didn’t want to deal with the noise, or struggle with adjusting it, etc. However, I know a lot of people use them, and it can reduce costs, so it may work in your situation.
You’re welcome. You’re actually doing research, and ironing out problems before they happen; I think you’re going to end up with a great coop.

I really like that coop @3KillerBs, and it’s nice they actually showed the process. Mine is a smaller, simplified version.
The roof was the most daunting task for me; I was mostly building it by myself and didn’t have any experience. So, my roof is flat 😕, but it’s built on land that is slightly slanted, so I was banking on that. We get very little snow in my part of the Mojave desert.
I also have walls south/west. The sun is one of the biggest threats to my chickens.

Last edited:
I was going to use tarps initially, but the wind is really crazy here too - I thought it would cause a lot of wear and tear in a short period of time. I also didn’t want to deal with the noise, or struggle with adjusting it, etc. However, I know a lot of people use them, and it can reduce costs, so it may work in your situation.
You’re welcome. You’re actually doing research, and ironing out problems before they happen; I think you’re going to end up with a great coop.
Yeah the noise i'm not too worried about, but you guys are right, the winds we get would probably shred them.
OH! that is a nice build! Thank you @3KillerBs ! I'm going to show it to the hubs!
Maybe I can do the plywood for permanent on the South side and then use tarps for the winter, time so it's easy is take down after just 2 months of cold :lol:

Back
Top Bottom