Open mouth breathing, laying down

dvrich89

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2016
I just got this pullet and 3 others a week ago. Today I let them all out into the yard for this first time but this pullet laid down by the gate. When she draws in a breath she opens her mouth. I can hear her take a breath. What could this be and what can I do for her? I notice my Rhode Island Red pullet is beginning to act the same! I have also noticed a little wetness around a couple of their nasal openings....

What's the temperature like? Best case scenario: They could just be hot. Do they have shade and cool water?

Worst case scenario: An upper respiratory infection. This article has some information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/755483/treating-upper-respiratory-infections

How are they now? Are they eating? Drinking? Pooping?

Hope they get better soon!

Oh: I'm not an expert. Do some research and don't just use my advice...
old.gif
Hope your chickens are feeling better.

Have you researched gapeworms? Is your chicken gaping or gasping for air? http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/gapeworms
The website also has a very good symptom checker.

Last edited:
That sounds like what my girls did when it was miserably hot here. I live in AZ but NOT in Phoenix thankyouverymuch. I live at 1 mile elevation and we still get hot. During to summer we put a misting along the back side of their outside run and they learned to love it. Their feather look pretty sad but they will lay down under the misters. We also cover their outside runs with tarps too to make sure they are in the shade all the time.

We let them run our yard every day weather permitting and when we let them outside in the evening, we are always out with them, we take them crushed ice and them gobble it down. They love it. We have several large trailers in our yard and they will run under them and take their spa baths to cool down and then spend the rest of the afternoon / evening catching bugs.

I wish it was panting but I'm worried it's respiratory or worms. I've seen my chickens pant. This is totally different unfortunately and today they started shaking their heads and sneezing. 3 of them I can tell are showing symptoms. I bought wormer and antibiotics to add to their water. Anything else I should be doing? Any idea what this could be? Thanks

Hi There,
my older girl did that exact same thing,i think she slept out the night before as they weren't locked up accidentally and I think she got stressed over something as she was very hoarse as well,so i thought she was dying! I gave her some extra concentrated nutrition (banana with molasses and special bird superfood mix)...that night she was back on her perch and the next day as right as rain:)
PS I'm a newbie and have been a regular visitor... very grateful to have such wonderful wealth of info at hand. Thank you!

Check inside there mouth for any thing abnormal.I'm not and expert on gape worm nor do i know if its contagious or not but i would check for that.If not get them started on some Tylan 50.Also how does her crop feel is it hard,squishy?

Back
Top Bottom