Opening the incubator?

Chicka101

Songster
Mar 1, 2021
I was reading about incubating and I’ve found a lot of people panicking that they’ve opened the incubator.
What is lockdown?
When are you allowed to open the incubator?
What happens if you open it at the wrong time?
I have hatched lots of chicks before and never really thought before lifting the lid to candle or see if they’re pipping.

Hi! :frow This is my experience with chickens! Not other poultry.

1. Lockdown is a certain time, when the eggs are about to hatch somewhat soon. This time you should leave them alone until all of them have hatched. Leaving it open for to long can cause the eggs to shrinkwrap and die. (Lockdown period is day 18 onwards)

2. You can open the incubator whenever, just try to avoid opening it at lockdown if you can. Some people have different opinions on this, but i see it as if you don’t need to, just don’t.

3. Not to sure what you mean, if you are talking about lockdown, they have a possibility of shrinkwrapping if left open for to long.

4. If you mean you haven’t candled before (I think you mean this) then candling is very beneficial. Not only is it amazing to see the progress of your soon to be chicks, but it can help you tell which should be tossed out.

This is my experience and i hope it helps you!

I find day 7 to be very useful when candling. I avoid candling at day 17 personally, because thats just me.

Hi! :frow This is my experience with chickens! Not other poultry.

1. Lockdown is a certain time, when the eggs are about to hatch somewhat soon. This time you should leave them alone until all of them have hatched. Leaving it open for to long can cause the eggs to shrinkwrap and die. (Lockdown period is day 18 onwards)

2. You can open the incubator whenever, just try to avoid opening it at lockdown if you can. Some people have different opinions on this, but i see it as if you don’t need to, just don’t.

3. Not to sure what you mean, if you are talking about lockdown, they have a possibility of shrinkwrapping if left open for to long.

4. If you mean you haven’t candled before (I think you mean this) then candling is very beneficial. Not only is it amazing to see the progress of your soon to be chicks, but it can help you tell which should be tossed out.

This is my experience and i hope it helps you!

I find day 7 to be very useful when candling. I avoid candling at day 17 personally, because thats just me.
Thank you this explains a lot

Back
Top Bottom