"OPINIONS" Ameraucana/Americana

AnimalCrazed

Crowing
13 Years
May 1, 2011
Idaho
If you buy a chick and the sign states Ameraucana/Americana What do you have? 50/50 Ameraucana or EE? I know that Americana with an "i" in it is not a real breed.... so what is it? Wrong spelling?

I promise I'm not stalking you, I'm only commenting because I don't know how to subscribe to this otherwise, and I want to see others' responses on this thread as well. =P

If you buy a chick from a feed store, it's an easter egger, no matter what the sign says or how it's spelled. Search around, there are multiple threads here, moslty in the "what breed or gender" section explaining the difference.

I agree that they are nice looking birds. Mine are friendly too.

Before I got chicks the first time I went around to many of the local feed stores to get schedules of which breeds would be arriving when. Of course most of the stores said they would have Araucanas or Ameraucanas. I questioned if they were actually Easter Eggers and everyone except for one store said yes. The one store was strange. The employee gave me a strange look and called the manager. I asked the same question to the manager. He gave me a dirty look and said that there was no such thing as EE's. He was very rude and said I had no idea what I was talking about. I told him about BYC and the researching of breeds I was doing. He then said that no one on BYC knew what they were talking about either. Rather than get upset and argue I just told him that I would take my business to other local feed stores. I have not been back in that store since. Luckily we have lots of feed stores around here with friendly and knowledgable employees.

Felidaet I just had to say.... UHHH PEOPLE!!!!

Well i guess either way your going to have colored eggs! Just wondered cause from the research I was doing I was suspecting an EE!
Basically stores are passing EE for the true breeds!

So what mixes create an Easter egger? One of the parents has got to be an ameraucana or something right?

Before I got chicks the first time I went around to many of the local feed stores to get schedules of which breeds would be arriving when. Of course most of the stores said they would have Araucanas or Ameraucanas. I questioned if they were actually Easter Eggers and everyone except for one store said yes. The one store was strange. The employee gave me a strange look and called the manager. I asked the same question to the manager. He gave me a dirty look and said that there was no such thing as EE's. He was very rude and said I had no idea what I was talking about. I told him about BYC and the researching of breeds I was doing. He then said that no one on BYC knew what they were talking about either. Rather than get upset and argue I just told him that I would take my business to other local feed stores. I have not been back in that store since. Luckily we have lots of feed stores around here with friendly and knowledgable employees.

My goodness! I'm glad the people in my feed stores have never been that way.
We are in there often enough now that they will know us by name soon. We show up and they say "What'll it be today?"
lau.gif

I never thought that would be me...

Felidaet I just had to say.... UHHH PEOPLE!!!!

Well i guess either way your going to have colored eggs! Just wondered cause from the research I was doing I was suspecting an EE!
Basically stores are passing EE for the true breeds!

So what mixes create an Easter egger? One of the parents has got to be an ameraucana or something right?

The bird just has to have Ameraucana genes somewhere back in it's bloodline. Basically any other breed that you breed with an Ameraucana is going to make EE, and subsequently any time you cross an EE with another breed the chicks are all considered EE.

I had a similar experience at one of our feed stores. We were in desperate need of a chick friend for a lone chick and they were the only place open. I said something about a cute EE in the tub and he went ballistic on me, yelling that there was no such thing as a pure bred Ameraucana according to his research. He said his were not EE's or mutts but "real" (not pure bred lol) Ameraucanas. (I never said mutt) I didn't dare mention I have true Ameraucanas from reputable breeders as well , or try to correct him. Sometimes you can just tell its not going to be worth the argument. Any way I bought the little chick and she is clean faced, yellow legged and as of 5 days ago has a single comb. She's adorable, very much loved and NOT a "real" Ameraucana, I don't care what he thinks lol. I still don't get why people think "EE" is a bad word, they are one of my favorite chicks to get!!!!! It's so fun to see how they turn out.

Back
Top Bottom