Orange County, California Chicken Owners

OC Chick

Songster
Sep 10, 2016
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Calling all Orange County, California Chicken Owners!

I'd love to connect with backyard chicken owners in Orange County, CA to chat about raising our chickens and share tips on best backyard chicken raising practices in smaller backyard spaces, swap advice, get tips to make raising chickens easier, possibly find people to split future chick orders with, and just have fun chatting about our chickens. I'd love to get a good "resource" page going. I hear there is a Facebook page for Orange County, CA chicken owners, but I haven't been able to find it (If you know it, please pass on the info).

I'm located in Rancho Santa Margarita (part of the "underground" chicken community) and have 4 little hens: 2 Easter Eggers (Violet & Petunia) and 2 Australorps (Olive & Lavender) who are currently 21 weeks old and NOT laying yet (sigh), but provide tons of entertainment with their personalities and antics! I got my chicks from Wagon Train Feed Store in Orange, CA in October and am raising my girls on Scratch & Peck feed.

Please share where you are from, introduce us to your flock members, share an anecdote about your chicks, favorite tip or best practice if you'd like, a source you use to help in your chicken raising, or anything else you want to share!

www.wagontrainoc.com - Feed store in Orange, CA that carries chicks all year round. You can call and request them to order you a specific breed. They use Privett Hatchery in New Mexico as their supplier.

www.rainbowmealworms.net - Insect feeder supply located in Compton, CA. Great local source for affordable live mealworms, crickets, waxworms, etc. My experience with them has been awesome - they ship and deliver as promise and their quality far surpasses what I've found in big box pet stores. They breed their insects so nothing is coming from China.

Last edited:
So, I'm in Long Beach and am thrilled that there's someone else looking for an online community.

I've got a Swedish Flower Hen that has become a beautiful ROOSTER. Looking for a lovely and kind home for him. Any suggestions?

Hi Jandrusrn! My sister lives in Long Beach and I am there weekly. I'm so excited to find a local fellow chicken owner to connect with!

Unfortunately as far as I know, most places in OC don't allow for roosters (the canyon areas are the exception). The options for rehoming a rooster that I am aware of are as follows (and I totally get that you might not be interested in any of them). Good luck!

1. Feedstores will often take a rooster and resell them. I've been to a few locally and have seen multiple roosters waiting for a home. Some charge money (Wagon Train charges $15) to take a rooster in. While this takes the Roo off your hands, you don't control who buys him (a hard thing when your chickens are beloved pets).

2. Craigslist - you can put an add on Craigslist and see if you get any takers. People living in the IE and Canyon areas of OC can have roos. I would guess that there are some areas of LA & SD county that allow you to have roos.

3. Farms - a friend of mine had to re-home 3 Roos and took them to a farm somewhere in Norco. Many farms are willing to take roosters in. You just have to pick up the phone and start cold calling farms.

4. There are some local chicken and rooster rescue programs. You might consider contacting them to see if they can help. www.farmsanctuary.org and www.chickenrescue.org and http://farmanimal.rescueshelter.com/California are some places you could look into.

Last edited:
Calling all Orange County, California Chicken Owners!

I'd love to connect with backyard chicken owners in Orange County, CA to chat about raising our chickens and share tips on best backyard chicken raising practices in smaller backyard spaces, swap advice, get tips to make raising chickens easier, possibly find people to split future chick orders with, and just have fun chatting about our chickens. I'd love to get a good "resource" page going. I hear there is a Facebook page for Orange County, CA chicken owners, but I haven't been able to find it (If you know it, please pass on the info).

I'm located in Rancho Santa Margarita (part of the "underground" chicken community) and have 4 little hens: 2 Easter Eggers (Violet & Petunia) and 2 Australorps (Olive & Lavender) who are currently 21 weeks old and NOT laying yet (sigh), but provide tons of entertainment with their personalities and antics! I got my chicks from Wagon Train Feed Store in Orange, CA in October and am raising my girls on Scratch & Peck feed.

Please share where you are from, introduce us to your flock members, share an anecdote about your chicks, favorite tip or best practice if you'd like, a source you use to help in your chicken raising, or anything else you want to share!

www.wagontrainoc.com - Feed store in Orange, CA that carries chicks all year round. You can call and request them to order you a specific breed. They use Privett Hatchery in New Mexico as their supplier.

www.rainbowmealworms.net - Insect feeder supply located in Compton, CA. Great local source for affordable live mealworms, crickets, waxworms, etc. My experience with them has been awesome - they ship and deliver as promise and their quality far surpasses what I've found in big box pet stores. They breed their insects so nothing is coming from China.

I need help! I am a brand new chicken momma of, well 3 now. I purchased 6 chickens from Hilltop Farms and they had coccidiosis, we believe. I have them on medicated feed, and was able to secure 1/2 teaspoon of Corid from a breeder nearby, but that's all she had. Does anyone have some Corid I can purchase from you or pay you back. I drdered some but there is a shipping delay and I don't think I have enough treatment water to get me to Monday, when I hope it is all sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom