Order Up. Toaster oven Hatch-A-Long

Pics
We’re having a warm day so I took Dutch Baby and Chicken Noodles outside. I decided to try introducing them to my Momma hen Gena and the other babies. When I put the first one in Gena looked her over then just started treating her like one of her own.
Then Gena heard the other baby peeping and couldn’t see her. She looked upset that she couldn’t see the second baby. So I showed it to her and she took it as her own. I’m I’ll keep an eye on them for a while before I open the door to the rest of the flock but I have a feeling Gena will mother them and won’t let me take them back inside to the warm brooder. Here’s to hoping everything works out and I have an empty brooder for this batch

The toaster oven babies are the light colored ones with fluffy feet

We’re having a warm day so I took Dutch Baby and Chicken Noodles outside. I decided to try introducing them to my Momma hen Gena and the other babies. When I put the first one in Gena looked her over then just started treating her like one of her own.
Then Gena heard the other baby peeping and couldn’t see her. She looked upset that she couldn’t see the second baby. So I showed it to her and she took it as her own. I’m I’ll keep an eye on them for a while before I open the door to the rest of the flock but I have a feeling Gena will mother them and won’t let me take them back inside to the warm brooder. Here’s to hoping everything works out and I have an empty brooder for this batch

The toaster oven babies are the light colored ones with fluffy feet

Very cute! ❤

IMG_4607.png

Lockdown day. Last nights candeling revealed several eggs still had really good veins and lots of movement. Several of them just looked dark no definite movement maybe they are just out of room to move. It’s really hard to know exactly what’s going on inside once the eggs get full. Nothing looked like a definite quitter so I didn’t remove any.

Here is an updated egg list

1 out
2 @CatInTheHenHouse
3 @wrathsfarm
4 out
5 @GirlsHuntToo
6 @Lovely Lettie
7 @Shabby Chic-Hens
8 @BackroadGirl57 Rain
9 Ninja @GreenJay
10 @GlicksChicks guess pullet
11 @UrbanHomesteadTX
12 @TwoCrows Tillie guess pullet
13 @Debbie292d
14 @Lovely Lettie
15 @wrathsfarm Morticia (Morty)
16 @BackroadGirl57 Cloud

If anyone wants to root for one of the unclaimed ones let me know. Also eggs 9-16 are sex linked hybrids if anyone cares to make gender guesses.

Last edited:
Update on the babies I took outside yesterday. When I opened the door to let them free range none of the adult chickens picked on them in any way. They walked around eating grass and enjoying the sunshine for a while

They didn’t seem to know to follow the group they got left behind as the others kept moving around the yard. I tried to bring them to the group several times and they did play with the others while they were together but they just couldn’t keep up with the group.

I found them huddled together in the run just the 2 of them so I took them back inside to the warm brooder. Next week will be warmer weather so I’ll try again. They didn’t seem to be in any real danger but they just don’t understand that momma hen is how you get warm so I felt they would be more comfortable in the house for now.

Back
Top Bottom