Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

D3inverts. your birds are very nice. I think my point was missed. If there is No Written Standard and no written history of a breed's development , then what is correct? You may rightfully feel that their tails look too large. My opinion is irrelevant as such, but these (Saipan ) look more like some pictures I have seen of O Shamo that had high tail sets. Also one incorrect part of an animal does not mean that it is of another breed. As a matter of fact I have a couple of Penedesencas with tails set too high, that does not make them another breed , just a fault according to the Irish Standard. I am not trying to be argumentative just saying . what is right on a breed that is supposed to be a Landrace Fowl ?

Personally my only thing here, is, what's there to prove it purebred. The difficulty here is that with no standard or little info for Saipans, and them being quite similar to other Orientals, it is very hard to find out if you've got some sort of Oriental cross, a Shamo, or a true Saipan. Or something else.

Either way nice birds, at least, the big guy is. He looks very tall too!

On Saipans, you can't go by a standard. But you can observe the true Saipan fowl photos very closely and develop an eye for them.. You can also talk to breeders that carry true Saipan, but finding them is like finding a needle in a haystack, I only know of one who may have them and he never would answer me directly to tell me whether he had them or not (which I don't blame him, and for that reason I won't disclose who he is or how to contact him).

The same fellow can be quoted saying, (and I'm probably paraphrasing a little here) that "anyone with real Saipans aren't going to let them go."

The general idea that a high set tail Saipan is a cross stems from the idea that they are Oriental, finding a Oriental that does not carry their tail below horizontal, or horizontally at the highest isn't common for one that is pure. You will sometimes see stags that have a tail set above horizontal, even up to a year old, but by two years their tail normally drops down to be horizontal in all of the cases I have seen. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I am just saying that generally speaking it doesn't happen. All of the old Saipan pics I have seen cocks carried their tail down low, they were large birds typically with a platinum/light red coloration and a walnut comb if I recall correctly.

But: Whatever they may be, they look typical of most other "saipan" fowl I have seen, which has all been hatchery stock as that is about the only thing you will ever find for sale. I say regardless of the above, they're nice looking birds and if you like them get them.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your opinions on the "Saipans." I wish they were a more standardized breed and that there were more breeders out there. I wonder if the stuff in hatcheries has no Saipan blood at all? If Saipans are so rare then hatcheries probably never got ahold of the real deal.

I'm back and forth about getting them. I have to call the owner and see if they're still for sale, and also ask him some general questions. I agree that the tail angle is too high for an Oriental, but the rest of the body seems quite Oriental. Perhaps there is Modern Game blood in there? That's the only way I can see a high tail angle getting in without trashing most of the other Oriental traits.

God bless,
~Gresh~

Back
Top Bottom