Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

72C902D0-3AD2-402B-8436-D95AAEFF20BF-857-0000013285EC7FA4.jpg

A pullet that I raised last year. She beat what Suzann showed at the one show this little girl went to. She like all her siblings died of unknown causes. She was a splash wheaten.

So I've been driving past this huge cock yard with hens all over every time I go to the Red River...I finally bought a couple of his most Asian looking hens. He claimed they're asils but I bet there's some American game and Sumatra in there for sure. One has yellow soles, the other pink. They are even harder than the cubalayas to catch standing still. He penned 6 for me to choose from and I picked for the broadest shoulder/chest and stoutest head.

Many of his birds have a nice low tail and vertical carriage. Most are more American, mostly Black Japs.

I like them a lot, but what would you guys call them? Black Jap? Asil grades?

Last edited:
Oh and these 2 hens are about 5 months old, and weigh about 3.5#. Very solid feeling in hand. If you pick them up they are very docile - my daughter will be using them for showmanship. They fit her hands better than our cubalayas. I might be in the market for a nice black asil cock...

Last edited:
I like them.
I like black birds they look like some of mines .
If the tail is really long they my have Sumatra more certain Tuzo
They are some Tuzo that they look like sumatra,aseel reza cross.
if they are tuzo let me tell you you have made a good purchase.

So I've been driving past this huge cock yard with hens all over every time I go to the Red River...I finally bought a couple of his most Asian looking hens. He claimed they're asils but I bet there's some American game and Sumatra in there for sure.  One has yellow soles, the other pink. They are even harder than the cubalayas to catch standing still. He penned 6 for me to choose from and I picked for the broadest shoulder/chest and stoutest head.

Many of his birds have a nice low tail and vertical carriage. Most are more American, mostly Black Japs.

I like them a lot, but what would you guys call them? Black Jap? Asil grades?

Last edited:
Only some had the dark face and yellow soles. There was a hen I strongly considered - low, full tail, pink feet, white skin - but she had a long head and beak. The one with the yellow feet had the shortest beak.

The seller is a local character some of you may have heard of, Charles Claypool. He says they are pure asil from a mix of Indian, Puerto Rican and Fillipino lines. I got the birds I wanted, just can't figure out what they really are.

What I wanted was something to breed to my lonely surprise BBR cubalaya cockerel next spring. I plan on ordering more cubalayas too, but so far no one I've heard of is parting with any blacks ;-). I could have stuck with both having white skin but I really liked the head on the yellow skinned pullet

Here's the young cubalaya cockerel:

Funny how good days for spending inside on the computer are lousy for snapping chicken pictures.

Back
Top Bottom