Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Ok folks, excepting that last post where 'exotic' bamboo is being spoken of: WE DO NOT HAVE OR GROW BAMBOO IN THE SOUTH. We have CANE BRAKES. Where are you people from anyway???

Didn't y'all ever watch 'Daniel Boone' growing up? Don't you remember the song? 'ramble in the cane brake and shoot the buffalo....' What do y'all think they were talking about????

What do folks fish with in a pond? A bamboo pole? Crazy! It's a CANE POLE!

LOL. Y'all just kill me.

Ok folks, excepting that last post where 'exotic' bamboo is being spoken of: WE DO NOT HAVE OR GROW BAMBOO IN THE SOUTH. We have CANE BRAKES. Where are you people from anyway???

Didn't y'all ever watch 'Daniel Boone' growing up? Don't you remember the song? 'ramble in the cane brake and shoot the buffalo....' What do y'all think they were talking about????

What do folks fish with in a pond? A bamboo pole? Crazy! It's a CANE POLE!

LOL. Y'all just kill me.

Oh, but there is exoic bamboo patches around here. Come by and I will take you around and show you some. The stuff does not belong here, and it will take over. It can send shoots out far away from the mother plant.
I certainly know the difference between switchcane and bamboo. I have wandered many a switchcane patch. A CANE BRAKE is the edge of that thicket. Thus the name canebrake rattlesnake. The edges of those thickets, are a great place to look for them.
They do sell some new cultivars that are supposed to be more manageable. Some good looking stuff with dark purple stalks etc. Quite ornamental, but I am scared of it. I would only feel safe planting it in the center of a WalMart parking lot, lol.

Lol george... you are the only one in the course of the conversation that didn't call 'cane' 'bamboo.' LOL.

One thing is for sure cane and exotic bamboo are both quite invasive. I ever see it on my place and I'll introduce it to Roundup and then gasoline/fire.

Saladin I know for a fact that Soil Conservation Service littered Kentucky bottoms with a particularly noxious and inferior exotic bamboo - Phyllostachys aureosulcata, aka Yellow Groove bamboo. In a few rare places one might also encounter P. bambusoides, aka madake or timber bamboo. Lucky for us neither is as widespread as they are further south. Native cane is of the genus Arundinaria, the most widely recognized and utilized being Arundinaria gigantea. I make flutes, I know river cane from bamboo. I have casualties from my drying racks that get used as splits in my garden - I would love to learn cage weaving.

So now will someone please answer Fowlsessed's question about Shamo?

Saladin I know for a fact that Soil Conservation Service littered Kentucky bottoms with a particularly noxious and inferior exotic bamboo - Phyllostachys aureosulcata, aka Yellow Groove bamboo. In a few rare places one might also encounter P. bambusoides, aka madake or timber bamboo. Lucky for us neither is as widespread as they are further south. Native cane is of the genus Arundinaria, the most widely recognized and utilized being Arundinaria gigantea. I make flutes, I know river cane from bamboo. I have casualties from my drying racks that get used as splits in my garden - I would love to learn cage weaving.

So now will someone please answer Fowlsessed's question about Shamo?
You took my comment way to seriously. LOL. As a dyed-in-the-wool Southerner (my folks have been in Tenn. since before it was a State and in the South for nearly 400 years), I'm just trying to acquaint younger folk with southern english. And humor... since in my opinion the world is wound way to tight these days.

Last edited:
LOL the talk of canebreaks reminds me of a story that my ol paw-in-law(Ed) told of him and his brother-in-law(uncle Paul) driving across the Az/Ca desert (back in the day) in an old 40 something model Ford car and it was so hot they had to stop and buy dry ice and put it in front of the radiator to make it across the desert. Anyways when Paul first got it and Ed drove it for the first time on one of their the journeys, he said "hey Edard, she's a road hog ain't she?" (because it had a bad-@$$ 60Hp V-8 in 'er) and Ed said "yeah"! as he had both hands on the tiller and elbows up as he was trying to keep it corralled between the ditches he said "yeah she hogs up the whole dm'd road, man driving this thing's like fightin' a bear in a canebreak".LOL

Jeff

Okay, thanks. So no Top-spinners, Pluckers etc.in the Shamo. Just like Asil, come straight forward.
They were not classed as such. Those words are all english translations of Thai, Hmong and Vietnamese terms.

Different cultures; we in the West tend to lump all of Southeast Asia together (along with Paki/India as well). There are cultural difference that extended to chickens as well.

Remember: in the day, Shamos were slow.

Not at all like Asil.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom