Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

He's quite curious and friendly, his pullet is much more reserved. I can't get over his terrible crow. He doesn't even open his beak to during it. He still thinks he's hot stuff.

My new 10 month old Blue Wheaten Ko Shamo Cockerel
Mcrooke, Perhaps it's the photo or lighting but I am having difficulty seeing the BLUE in this Ko Shamo? Here are few photos of Blue Wheatens for comparison. These are bred by Caldwell, from Ko acquired from my friend Walt Leonard.

He is a dark blue grey color. I have raised blue birds for years. You get many shades of the colors out of the blue gene. The lighting in my living room was not the best either.
Mark

mc,
I see the blue, but when we say something like 'dark blue grey' what we would generally mean is that he is a silver duckwing blue or a golden duckwing blue; as the word 'grey' in the game world refers to silver or golden duckwing.

mc,
I see the blue, but when we say something like 'dark blue grey' what we would generally mean is that he is a silver duckwing blue or a golden duckwing blue; as the word 'grey' in the game world refers to silver or golden duckwing.
I see what you are saying. I was just trying to define the blue color a bit. I have raised blue birds for over 25 years. a lot of people don't understand the color genetics of the color blue. It can range from almost a dark grey black to a sky blue to splash depending on the gene pattern in the bird. When you cross a blue bird with one that is not blue, the blue gene is on the most part dominant and the birds produced from it will carry the blue gene. I have done a lot of reading on color genetics
and I try to create new color patterns in my birds with it. It takes a little time but I enjoy it.

Mark

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a bird that is 'Blue Jay' blue!
At one time I was going to play Dr. Frankenstein and Cross some of my Melanistic pheasants I had with some of my chickens by artificial insemination to see what I would create. While I was away in Texas visiting my daughter it came a bad storm and a tree fell on my pen and crushed it and my pheasants escaped before I could complete my experiment. You might create a Blue Jay chicken by crossing it with a pheasant
big_smile.png
. Maybe a Swinehoe, Lady Amherst, or Silver Pheasant.
Mark

Mcrooke,
Perhaps it's the photo or lighting but I am having difficulty seeing the BLUE in this Ko Shamo?

Here are few photos of Blue Wheatens for comparison. These are bred by Caldwell, from Ko acquired from my friend Walt Leonard.

He is gorgeous! I saw the photo of your bird's sire; the one Walt Leonard bred; he is breathtaking!! My KOs are Wheaten which is a color I love. I am looking forward to having couple of Blue Wheatons, as well.

Lual

Back
Top Bottom