Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I have had chicks that have torn each other apart but it is not a constant problem, more of an occasional death match. I have gone out to find several scalped and otherwise torn up chicks on different occasions. But after a healing period and short reintroduction they are back with the hatch mates. Are you saying you have to separate all your chicks at 4 weeks? I wouldn't know what to do with them all if I had to do that.. .
I have kept pullets together till one+ year but not adult hens.

0.jpg

I have the same experience you have. My Asils start killing each other at about 4 weeks and they don't care if they are male or females...my Shamo's start that at about 6 weeks. I doh't know what these other guys are raising, but I have had Orientals for over 35 years and I can't keep a pen of them....sometimes the females are even worse than the males. I keep two birds in 4' X 8' pens

Walt

Last edited:
Ouch guys, just like a switch is thrown... this is what seems to happen in some non-game breeds too. I do think some breeds & lines with in breeds are more aggressive... seems they need space and if they don't have it they see other chickens as threats.

People are the same way. Some can be all jammed into cramp spaces & be happy and for other folks they can't stand it, become agitated and if pressed to much try and remove themselves from the group (flight drive) or explosive violent (fight drive).

I wish I had time to study the wild chicken population in my town, but I and others have noticed the following just in passing: flocks tend to be small (usually 1 roo + 1-2 hens and then sundry chicks), flocks spread them selves out and rotate range position during the day (take turns in different areas), roos can & will work together, single roos common, a new roo (dumped bird) will have a rough time as he must learn the "rules" of territory and maintaining proper distance, simply because 2 roos can see each other does not mean conflict will occur (usually they crow and strut and herd their hens around and maintain a safe distance). These birds are a total mix of breeds that have been living in the town forever, every now and then "new blood" comes in via people releasing roos, but the population overall is very stable. Cars and critters kill allot I am sure.

So maybe Aussies are mellower towards each other then the Asils?

Just thinking about how different or ampted up the drives must be in these breeds.

smile.png

Ouch guys, just like a switch is thrown... this is what seems to happen in some non-game breeds too. I do think some breeds & lines with in breeds are more aggressive... seems they need space and if they don't have it they see other chickens as threats.

People are the same way. Some can be all jammed into cramp spaces & be happy and for other folks they can't stand it, become agitated and if pressed to much try and remove themselves from the group (flight drive) or explosive violent (fight drive).

I wish I had time to study the wild chicken population in my town, but I and others have noticed the following just in passing: flocks tend to be small (usually 1 roo + 1-2 hens and then sundry chicks), flocks spread them selves out and rotate range position during the day (take turns in different areas), roos can & will work together, single roos common, a new roo (dumped bird) will have a rough time as he must learn the "rules" of territory and maintaining proper distance, simply because 2 roos can see each other does not mean conflict will occur (usually they crow and strut and herd their hens around and maintain a safe distance). These birds are a total mix of breeds that have been living in the town forever, every now and then "new blood" comes in via people releasing roos, but the population overall is very stable. Cars and critters kill allot I am sure.

So maybe Aussies are mellower towards each other then the Asils?

Just thinking about how different or ampted up the drives must be in these breeds.

smile.png

If Aussies are mellower, they won't be killing foxes. Orientals have been bred for centuries to be aggressive and are nothing like chickens you find in parks etc.. If I dropped off one of my birds at a park (Male or female) there would be no other chickens in a very short time. Since you are using "roo", I assume you are fairly new to chickens. I don't just have Asils.........I have O Shamo's as well, they don't like each other or other chickens. My birds are not unusual in that respect. Anyone that raises orientals knows not to run them together. Unless they are hatchery Orientals which are mixed with other breeds.

Walt

Ok may need some SOCAL help here I'm seeing a lot of good ko shamo and malay coming out of CA and just so happens one of my brothers is in longbeach so if I could get a connection in that area he could bring me some hatching eggs home his next flight PM me if you can help - thanks

Last edited:
If Aussies are mellower, they won't be killing foxes. Orientals have been bred for centuries to be aggressive and are nothing like chickens you find in parks etc.. If I dropped off one of my birds at a park (Male or female) there would be no other chickens in a very short time. Since you are using "roo", I assume you are fairly new to chickens. I don't just have Asils.........I have O Shamo's as well, they don't like each other or other chickens. My birds are not unusual in that respect. Anyone that raises orientals knows not to run them together. Unless they are hatchery Orientals which are mixed with other breeds.

Walt

I decided to use the shorten form for rooster "roo" term since joining BYC, I am aware stag, cock and a few other terms. I am old and new, kept chickens ages ago and miss them so decided to check out what has happened in chicken land (as I am going to keep them again)... breeds, new diseases etc, when I kept birds in the past I was hippy dippy about it, so I decided if I did it again I want to do a few things better and consider breeds I have not kept before... better coop, try new ideas, and get educated on a breeds needs before bringing it home. The only thing remotely close to a game bird I have had is a Cornish Rooster, and a VN Jungle Fowl/Bird, so in that respect yep total noob to game breeds. So if everyone says seperate pens I believe you all, really I do.

I am very confussed though about all the horror stories of killer non-game breeds which I did keep with zero rampaging killing in my flock, I can say some of those breeds where more agressive & smart, so I assume the problems are space to chicken ratio and boredom for those breeds, I was shocked to read some of the problems people have in their laying flocks, with chickens killing each other. Shocked very much at so many bad experiences with RIR by so many.

I do not believe or was implying the wild chickens would stand a chance against a well bred Oriental Game, but I find it interesting how they act. I know the drive is high in Orientals Game to fight and not choose flight... as to the wild birds they do not have the same drive, and will choose escape if loosing, as that is better for them. I could tell you guys some really laughable claims by people who move to my town because they love it's chicken charm till they discover roosters crow... I about bust a gut laughing over the rooster rustlers fabrication, equally odd that it is inhumane for the birds to live wild (but fed by tons of people like pigeons) or better that they be rounded up and euthanized? Hint a town with roosters on their seal, a chicken festival, officials dressed in chicken out fits and fake roosters on houses is not going to respond positively to outsiders trying to get our wild chickens killed 'cause you didn't know roosters crow. We had to write laws to protect the birds from idiot yuppies... sigh.
roll.png

All I am trying to say is birds can be territorial in different ways, some roosters I have known were extremely dangerous to everyone and all other animals but their hens. I am just wondering if the Aussies might fall more in that category. I think your question made sense by the way.

Hippy Dippy me Laura

Back
Top Bottom