Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I thought you had Satsumadori females.
I don't and down to 3 Asil hens due to Hawks. They don't run so they get killed, so no more free ranging for me. Looking for new lines to add to my flock but it looks like I will have to import. That takes a few tries before getting what you want.

Last edited:
Never crossed with the grey line, but I'm picking up a grey mixed hen this weekend so I will be crossing with my Saipan

That Saipan hen has the right tail for the start. I know the Japanese used Shamo and longtailed breeds to make the Satsumadori. I was looking at the birds that they have and the only one that I can see that they have that could have been used to breed into the Satsumadori to get that frilled tail is the Chabo or Japanese Bantam. The tails match almost perfectly in the hens and roosters so I am thinking it must of been used somewhere in the gene pool.

That Saipan hen has the right tail for the start. I know the Japanese used Shamo and longtailed breeds to make the Satsumadori. I was looking at the birds that they have and the only one that I can see that they have that could have been used to breed into the Satsumadori to get that frilled tail is the Chabo or Japanese Bantam. The tails match almost perfectly in the hens and roosters so I am thinking it must of been used somewhere in the gene pool.
I think the 1/4 Spanish Pyle will bring the same spread as it shows often.

I believe you were dreaming when you posted a picture of this bird. I have seen it on the net before. It is from a breeder from Japan. There are no Satsumadori in the US. I wish there was. I would love to have some.

so, is this a malay/roundhead or did you use someone else's pic of a Satsuma? are you making satsumadori? can we see more pics of them if you have any?

Last edited:
That is a Satsumadori
True Satsumadori
similar but not the same, to my eyes at least. But dude did admit to steeling the pic, didn't think I would be on a blog.

I like him. I am very new to oriental fowl, so what's the history on Sapian fowl? I saw Sapian jungle fowl on the purely poultry site, which look like Asils to me.

I like him. I am very new to oriental fowl, so what's the history on Sapian fowl? I saw Sapian jungle fowl on the purely poultry site, which look like Asils to me.
To me it is a bigger Asil as the Asil and shamo differ in height and girth. It is said to be closer to the original malay strain than most. They are common in Thailand and a larger short tail strain is common in India. Between myself, my brother and cousin we have four imported lines of malay.

I was thinking about ordering some chicks from purely poultry, but I've never been a fan of hatcheries. Plus it'd be my luck to watch them grow up together and run from eachother when they're growing up and learning how to fight. I don't fight mine, but those oxford OE games from McMurray were the prettiest and fastest runners ever, lol. My cochin roo used to chase them in the yard.
I saw some pics of a group of Sapian hens raised from purely poultry's stock, and they were big and beautiful, now I'm stuck on them.
This is my first year back with chickens, so I'm trying to keep only a few birds and not overwhelm myself with lines. I usually only keep about three lines anyways.
I have eight eggs from my grey hen, and she's been with Asils ever since I got her, so my fingers are crossed that she laid their eggs. If she somehow kept laying eggs from the grey she was with before, I wouldn't be disappointed. She acts like she'll go broody any day now.

Back
Top Bottom