Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Cackle Saipans should be fine. Their hybrid vigor will keep them warm.
big_smile.png

The ones in the picture in the catalog have bare breast bones. The ones you end up with might be northern saipans. You can help your orientals by giving them a 1x4 or 1x6 to roost on, instead of a round pole. Watch to make sure they cover their toes, if they are not clever enough to cover their toes, they won't fare as well in bitter cold and you will have to put them inside. (House or soup pot). You can knock the roost pole out and put them in some dry straw on the cold nights, too. A lot of people add some cayenne in the winter along with a little extra cracked corn.

Last edited:
My Saipan won't be getting a roost. It will be the ground and bedding. Really none of my chickens have roosts.all my breeds are heavy weights and I don't want any injuries

Last edited:
The ones in the picture in the catalog have bare breast bones. The ones you end up with might be northern saipans. You can help your orientals by giving them a 1x4 or 1x6 to roost on, instead of a round pole. Watch to make sure they cover their toes, if they are not clever enough to cover their toes, they won't fare as well in bitter cold and you will have to put them inside. (House or soup pot). You can knock the roost pole out and put them in some dry straw on the cold nights, too. A lot of people add some cayenne in the winter along with a little extra cracked corn.

I start all my chicks (inside) with a 2X2 roost and when they are moved out, they have 2X4s, widest side up and no more that 24 inches off the ground.

Northern Saipans huh?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom