Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

i think, by paraphrasing, everyone means: thai fowls arent a breed but a type, there are many breeds , rather like 'hunting dogs' .... but maybe i am also a bit dumb when dealing with the birds, on the other hand, our birds came from thailand, as eggs, from issaan, so as far as i am concerned, for us they are thai (burma, lao, vietnam, saipan)

Thai roosters will always almost pose with a forward lean regardless of what it is doing (finish eating, ready to crow, showing off, etc). The carcass or body should be at a less aggressive stance (not shamo stance). The shanks ought to be long and proportion to the thigh and "drumstick" length wise. The tail which is pure speculation should not look like a cubalaya tail. Yet, they should gracefully point backward (not soft but brittle). The shoulders tend to open more so making the top back look wider. The neck can be long (I'm not a fan of long necks) but cannot look like shamo's or what we call "swan neck". Where the comb ends and an arch on top of the eye, instantly followed by a downward slant that is present but hardly noticeable, at that slant the eye is closest. The top beak needs to be tucked in not straight but an upward angle. Like the great pyreneese that conveys intelligence and confidence; the thai should display their readiness and steady demeanor. On top of everything I just mentioned, a real thai cock will be 100% and plus GAME. The thai gamefowl is a breed. Maybe it is not recognized by apa or other sanctions but it is a breed. Within the thai gamefowl there are types. So to wrap it up - Cuda was right that lovemybirdpets's stag is not a thai but a mix with a pinch of thai. Thanks to the ban of importing fowls and cockfighting being illegal the thai gamefowl along with others will slowly see a decline in pureness. I tend to not spill my beans but this topic was hard to bypass. Ahhh I don't know nothing.... too much to learn.

Hey Cuda, I need you to PM me. Like to talk about gamefowl and I don't have an account on the other forum. Thanks.

Last edited:
nice looking thai, alaska fowls and good description of them. is that LHK thai or Pradu? next to cubalaya and asil, they are what i want the best. i have a cuba/thai cock now and really like his station and the way he has filled out over the winter.

Nice post Alaska.

Paulo that should answer any questions you have; it also shows that cuda knows what he's talking about; especially when it comes to Thai.

my husband calls the two first hatched ones 'boss 1 and boss 2. the others just get basic thai names like: blackie, whitey, spotted, tiny, basically all the same names that thais give to eachother (no one uses their real long complicated names htere. they all have names like shorty, fatty, blackie, etc.)
i have a feeling that i will be living with at least one pair in the house since he is heart broken that we have to move our fowls to a much more distant coop and he wont be able to play with them every day.
as it is, they come to us when we call them; they all sit quietly while we pet them, and he uses specific words when they prance, or flare their neck hackles (or whatever its called in english), or pair off in fighitng stance; essentially, he is training them w/o them knowing it. fortunatley for us the two different hatchings/ages have gotten used to eachother and are now one big flock; but now we may have to separate them up again. our dogs btw are afraid of them already, and the fowls are only two months old.

Alaskan Game fowl, beautiful LHK, photos and detailed description. I am glad you took the time to share with the rest of the group. Thank you for your time and effort sir.

With all due respect Saladin I don’t care to get into more mud slinging. I think the folks here would prefer it that way. But I can appreciate you sticking up for your long time buddy. But it does not prove the ladder since it was Alaska who took his time for the sake of the group.

Remember Saladin, I stated that "it looked like Thai I have seen (and held) in California" which LMBP's beautiful bird does. I don’t state that the fowl looked "pure or straight" bred Pradu Hang Dam Thai gamefowl. Having learned, that the majority of the Thai in CA and the US in general are infused with non-Thai bloodlines, for performance. I will add, having seen, that there are a few that are being maintain pure too..

Personally, I would prefer this beautiful fowl not be labeled “Shamo”, as it would not fit the Shamo criteria as I understand it. Probably, much the same as Alaskan Game would prefer it not to be called “Thai”, since it does not meet his standard either.

Perhaps, we can agree that it’s Qaib Thai Shamo o Qaib Thai Meka??
Again, thank you Alaska your post will go into my "poultry notes" for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom