Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Hell
hi my name is keio I realy like your asil bantam you post in this picture,can you let me know the price and how I can got those thanks you

Hello, this breed is not a bantam its a japanese shamo . The prices range from £100-200 if you are from the uk which i doubt you are as i could of sold you this one as i am reducing stock ,as hopefuly i will have chicks on the way :)

Last edited:
My Shamos and Malays are supposedly pure and of good conformation but I have my doubts. I've read several articles discussing standards but words don't seem to provide a clear understanding in my mind. It may have been done already but could someone post a picture of these and discuss how each meets the standard? Maybe also post pictures of ones that are not correct and compare and contrast correct vs incorrect. If that is too much trouble can you direct me to a previous post that would help? I have several of each and would like to cull undesirable birds as I select those I want to breed. Thanks.

I think you are
My Shamos and Malays are supposedly pure and of good conformation but I have my doubts. I've read several articles discussing standards but words don't seem to provide a clear understanding in my mind. It may have been done already but could someone post a picture of these and discuss how each meets the standard? Maybe also post pictures of ones that are not correct and compare and contrast correct vs incorrect. If that is too much trouble can you direct me to a previous post that would help? I have several of each and would like to cull undesirable birds as I select those I want to breed. Thanks.

I think you are referring to physical attributes? If so they are meant to have white beaks clear eyes and the shanks white depending on colour. The shamo's have a upright stance and the malays head is more of a squashed egg shape (correct me if i am wrong)

HOLD ON! SHAMO are NOT suppose to have white shanks or beaks! I apologize in advance as I know nothing regarding the Malay standard.
But here is the Shamo Standard, per Julia Keeling. If you want to see quality Shamo look her birds up on the NET, or check out her Facebook page. There are other quality Shamo out there but its widely understood that she has dose a very fine job at keeping them to Japanese standards in "form and function" based on her annual visits to Japan.

SHAMO

Origin: Japan
Classification: Asian Hardfeather. Large Fowl.
Egg colour: White or tinted

The Shamo is a Japanese bird of Malayoid type, originally imported to Japan from Thailand in the seventeenth century – the name being a corruption of Siam, the old name for Thailand. In Japan it was developed into a fighting bird of unmatched courage and ferocity. Its feathers are sparse but strong and shiny, and its powerful bone structure and well-muscled body and legs, coupled with its erect posture, make it an impressive and striking bird. Since its importation in the early 1970s the term ‘Shamo’ has covered all large fowl, but in Japanese classification, birds are divided into
Chu
(medium) Shamo and O (large) Shamo.

General characteristics:

Male

Type and Carriage: General appearance fierce, powerful, proud and alert. Stance very upright
Body: Large and extremely firm with well-muscled abdomen.
Breast: Broad and full with deep keel.
Back: Long, broadest at shoulders, sloping down towards tail and gradually tapering from upper side of thigh. Backbone straight.
Wings: short, big, strong and bony, carried well down and close to the body, not showing on the back but with prominent shoulders.
Tail: carried below horizontal, length to give balance to the bird.
Head: Deep and broad with wattles and earlobes small or absent. Beak strong, broad and curved downwards, but not hooked. Eyes deep-set under overhanging brows. Comb triple and firm. Walnut comb rare – but also acceptable.
Neck: Long, strong-boned, slightly curved but almost erect.
Legs and feet: Legs medium to long – thick and strong with slight bend at hock. Thighs long, round and muscular. Shanks thick , strong and round. Toes four, long and well spread. Hind toe straight and firm on the ground.
Plumage: Feathers very short, narrow, hard and brilliant. Scant, and bare showing red skin at throat, keel and point of wing. Neck hackle feathers permitted to curl towards back of neck.
Handling: Extremely firm fleshed, muscular and well-balanced. Strong contraction of wings to body.

Female

The general characteristics are similar to those of the male, allowing for natural sexual differences. Stance very upright, but it is acceptable for a female to be slightly less upright than the male.

Colour
Black/red is the most common colour seen. (The ‘red’ may be any shade from yellow to dark red, with wheaten or partridge females which can be any shade from cream to dark brown, with or without dark markings). Ginger, white, black, splash, blue and duckwing are all recognised, and no colour or combination of colours is disqualified.
In both sexes and all colours:
Beak yellow or horn.
Legs and feet yellow. Blackish overcolour acceptable in dark coloured birds.
Comb, face, throat, earlobes and any exposed skin – brilliant red.
Eyes silver or gold. Darker eyes acceptable in young birds.

Weights
Male 3kg (6lb10oz) minimum
Female 2.25kg (4lb14oz) minimum
[Chu Shamo – male above 3kg (6lb10oz) and under 4kg (8lb12oz), female above 2.25kg (4lb14oz) and under 3kg (6lb10oz).
O Shamo – male 4kg (8lb12oz) and above, female 3kg (6lb10oz) and above.]

Serious defects

Lack of attitude. Poor carriage. Overlarge comb. ‘Duck’ feet.

Last edited:
Okay calm down, is that why julia keelings birds have them characteristics?? It shows how good the bloodline is in the bird

Paulo,
Thanks for the info. I read several descriptions similar to the one you posted, might have even read that one. The descriptions certainly do help but pictures seem to solidify the "word pictures". I'll look up Julia Keeling. Again, thanks!

I found Julia Keeling's pics of Shamos . I notice that she mentions the most common colors and immediately describes leg color as yellow possibly with black overlay. Are other colors acceptable? I know what a walnut comb looks like but what is a triple comb? She also describes the beak as yellow or horn, What color is "horn"? Is this a variation of brown? I've raised cattle and I've seen horns of all colors. The beak is also described as broad, strong and downward curved but not hooked. The beaks on many of the pictured birds look very short almost like that of a finch. I don't see the downward curve and they don't look especially "strong". What am I not seeing?
The descriptions of stance, tail, wings, legs, feathers etc. I can see/recognize. The one thing I found really useful was her statement that the Shamos are not mature until age 2. That a 2 y/o can look much different than the same bird at 1 y/o. That says to me that I need to wait to cull.
Again, thanks to those who responded and thanks in advance to anyone who may yet respond.

Back
Top Bottom