Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

one of the Saipan. He didn't like being separated from his buddies

When we are looking at legs, the primary thing we are looking for is square shanks. Scale reading is a different matter, and is an art in and of itself. (That I know nothing about.) All angles of the leg are looked at, particular attention is given to front scale just above the toes and the scales on the outside of the leg. Good scale readers can look at each others birds and determine which would win an hypothetical match without even turning them loose from what I understand. Don't know if it is all that precise, but the people that do it have certainly been doing it for a very long time. Interesting part of our birds, though.

NO DISRESPECT INTENDED.they used to claim to be able to read bumps on people's head. I'm not buying into the concept that you can predict a birds ability from looking at its leg shape.
It's interesting though.
I often have stray thoughts that force me to try and find answers to( I'm bipolar with OCD) I've read countless articles and research papers over poultry genetics. One of the few things that I understand 100% is when they say they DON'T know WHY something occurs.
My question on the scales Is more towards, (1) are they supposed to be a set number? (2)Is the number an indication of strain purity or cross
(3) why am I suddenly obsessed with how many rows of scales my chickens have?!?
Ridgerunner you are a fount of knowledge,and I appreciate your input!
I look at "Lucky" there is no outward sign (to me) of the crazy aggressive nature of this bird. Through reading about how the breed (asil) was selectively bred, I get it....in theory
Me personally,I like to see two rooster s decide who is top dog..errr,chicken.lol If I had not seen it with my own eyes with LUCKY,I would never have believed that a rooster would attack any and everything he is a regular little sociopath. I'm wondering if the Saipans will be of the same nature??how many scales are they supposed to have? what about the Cornish,the JG,what does the extra toe on the Dorkings MEAN??Aaaaaaarrrrrgggg!!

someone should write a book about all of this stuff!! I like the scientific stuff,but I find the "beleifs" and traditions fascinating. I could read for hours. a stray comment here or there in articles leads me to new questions.

I look at my chickens legs and all I see is round. And mud. lots of mud.Until today I never had any idea they had DIFFERENT numbers of scales on their legs. Now my OCD will have me chasing chickens with a net to compare numbers.

Back
Top Bottom