Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

The old masters, to whom we are indebted for our fowl, saw fit to hold certain traits as desirable. First and foremost, I think everyone would agree that Asil shanks should be square, that is, flat on the front. This is a sign of purity and good breeding. The scales themselves are more of a Vietnamese, Thai, Laotian thing. Different scales mean different things for different lines. Different scales generally show various attributes, speed, strength, accuracy. It might well be no more than palm reading, but I have heard of people being incredibly accurate in the prediction of a cocks performance using these ancient methods. If you are going to keep Oriental fowl, you definitely owe it to yourself to at least familiarize yourself with some of the concepts that have surrounded their keeping for many years. I cannot speak for what is desirable scale for the Saipan, even if the Saipan was not a hatchery throw together, that is something you would have to take up with a long time Saipan breeder, and good luck finding one of those.

I know very little about scale reading, most that know the most, probably wouldn't be able to articulate it on here, between language barriers and the scope of the discussion. I do know that one pattern is 'Doc Bein', this is a line of single scales, small and round, down the outside of leg, instead of three rows a single row. Supposed to be a special bird. Split scales on the prop toe is supposed to be good. Solid scales on the front level with the spur is supposed to mean power, small scales sandwiched in between two others at the same place is a sign of accuracy, but more so if in a row of three.

It is undeniable that certain attributes go along with certain, possibly unseen, traits, spring of rib, shape of bone, in every thing from racehorses to dairy cows. If we don't use some of this for the original purpose of the fowl, we can at the very least use some of these traits as signs of purity.

One guy told me that if the 3 rows of scales were high on the leg, the bird would hit high, if the were low on the leg, he hits low.
Another guy with a very nice oriental game farm told me scale sign was meaningless.

You would probably have to have a very pure line of birds and be very familiar with those birds for scale reading to work at all. And then it wouldn't be a guarantee. There are a lot more things that people should use to pick their birds for breeding etc. before using scale reading, IMO.

all things that would go GOOD in a book!!

I agree! Reading this conversation is the first I've heard of it... even if it's not accurate, it's very fascinating! I guess I know what I'm gonna be doing when I go out to put the flock away tonight... probably end up spending an hour looking at dang chickens scales....

On a side note, anybody know of a breeder of exhibition type Malay? The real tall ones. Wanted a Malay cockbird for years. I love the idea of a bird that's more than half as tall as I am...

side view of Lucky's legs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom