Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Another stag

Not sure whether this one is a stag or pullet, it's paler face and some other characteristics tell me pullet but this is much larger than all the other pullets and by weight probably the biggest of all the chicks including the stags.

With this much feather, you can easily assure of a stag if the back feather is sharp pointing.

With this much feather, you can  easily assure of a stag if the back feather is sharp pointing.

Here's a pic of the tail

Looks rounded rather than sharp which makes me think pullet but I've got a couple of definite pullets that have a sharp tail!

I have a question and I am hoping some one can answer or direct me towards a resource. The all mighty chicken wing: I am trying to understand better the effect of wing shape and placement on the body to flight performance of chickens.

My question is what sort of wing does a chicken have? (High Speed, Eliptical, High aspect ratio, Soaring or in between two types)

My next is does placement effect flight? What I mean is some breeds have a clearly high placement, others a more Jungle Fowl placement and others seem near vertical and so on.

I found one study that concluded asymmetrical wings totally effect the birds flight distance, it also had notes from several other bird studies that helped with understanding the effect of tail symmetry... totally important in long-tailed species, not so much in short tailed species. Toe symmetry turns out to be important in landing accuracy too from that study. Leg symmetry mainly seemed to effect walking. Asymmetric primary flight feathers also equals poor flight performance.

Does anyone know if tail placement effects flight? or walking ability?

(I also posted this Q in the Sumatra Thread & Training Your Chicken For Voluntary Flight)

Back
Top Bottom