Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I don't think so, you can also get those leg ties and tie so they cant reach each other. like that your loose flock of chickens can approach and mingle with the cocks.
I do believe if you google them they are called "tie-outs" my Sumatra roosters needed them up to the point they were culled for behavioral reasons when I was trying to run 4 free ranging. Around here people simply make Tie outs from twine or 550 cord.

I'm sure there are plenty of tie-out tutorials on you-tube as well as they are a very common feature in raising game fowl the world over to prevent rooster on rooster aggression or to prevent over mating of females if you are running too many roosters to females for any breed.

Last edited:
I do believe if you google them they are called "tie-outs" my Sumatra roosters needed them up to the point they were culled for behavioral reasons when I was trying to run 4 free ranging. Around here people simply make Tie outs from twine or 550 cord.

I'm sure there are plenty of tie-out tutorials on you-tube as well as they are a very common feature in raising game fowl the world over to prevent rooster on rooster aggression or to prevent over mating of females if you are running too many roosters to females for any breed.
Yeah, I've seen roosters on tie cords. i think that works well if there are no predators around. i was hoping that if the roosters were given enough space, they would leave each other alone, but maybe that only works for non-gamey breeds.

Yeah, I've seen roosters on tie cords. i think that works well if there are no predators around. i was hoping that if the roosters were given enough space, they would leave each other alone, but maybe that only works for non-gamey breeds.
Oh yeah you did mention you have plenty of acreage for them to forage, question really is how much of your time do you want to invest in bringing them back home to roost on the fenced in portion of your property.

Oh yeah you did mention you have plenty of acreage for them to forage, question really is how much of your time do you want to invest in bringing them back home to roost on the fenced in portion of your property.
If they're dawdling around near the coop, I don't mind herding them in... but if they've flown to the top of a 30 foot oak tree, I'm not gonna try to get them down.

Sounds like Oriental games aren't good for free ranging when there's more than one male. Would it make sense to only keep hens, or does that defeat the purpose of the breed?

If they're dawdling around near the coop, I don't mind herding them in... but if they've flown to the top of a 30 foot oak tree, I'm not gonna try to get them down.

Sounds like Oriental games aren't good for free ranging when there's more than one male. Would it make sense to only keep hens, or does that defeat the purpose of the breed?
I keep only my Sumatra hens who free range exclusively and let themselves out in the morning and put themselves to bed at night. I have yet to find a reason to keep a rooster gamebird, out of at least 7 roosters they all get culled for behavioral reasons. It is a shame all of my hens are special and have great personalities even the broody ones who bite the heck out of me defending their nests. I really do want them to become a self sustaining flock and am hoping that by adding to this flock my older hens will educate the younger roosters, so they can breed proper as a heritage breed should.

Last edited:
With Oriental games, most of them you have to be careful with the hens being able to get to each other, let alone cocks. Results will vary from one line to another. Don't really know why Sumatras get lumped in with Oriental games, they are more of an ornamental gamefowl derivative. I have asil hens that will severely damage each other, or males that don't suit them. I have Thais that get along, as long as they have ample space. Most of them will end up in a tree, or on top of a coop, rather than in a coop, if left to their own choices.

Back
Top Bottom