Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Pics
Quote:
Mottled usually starts as a black bird with a few white spots and gets more white as it ages. These birds are too white to be considered mottled. Black and white is probably the best term for them.

Walt

The black and white pullet is from a white cockbird over a blue red hen. Everyone from that hatch has come out white/black, or white/red. They turn out looking somewhat splash.

Quote:
Mottled usually starts as a black bird with a few white spots and gets more white as it ages. These birds are too white to be considered mottled. Black and white is probably the best term for them.

Walt

It seems to be increasingly popular to call them paints; and a color combination once motivating some culling is now being selected to breed by more and more people. IMO the bird would probably be very useful to anyone trying to breed a paint line.

Agreed with all, but understand that not all mottled birds have very little white at the start.
wink.png
The mottling from juvenile crested breeds especially usually blankets the whole breast of the bird and on into the tail and head.

lol.png
Paint Brazilians, that's like Lavender Asils.

Quote:
Houdans are the only mottled crested birds that come immediately to mind and yes, you might have some with a lot of white when they start out, but I would cull those at the start.
That is why I said usually. Poor specimens of mottled always have too much white in the beginning.....I don't count poor specimens when I make these comments.

I don't think anyone will be calling self blue OEG's or Asils lavender.....
lol.png

Walt

Last edited:
Quote:
Houdans are the only mottled crested birds that come immediately to mind and yes, you might have some with a lot of white when they start out, but I would cull those at the start.
That is why I said usually. Poor specimens of mottled always have too much white in the beginning.....I don't count poor specimens when I make these comments.

lol.png

Walt

To the best of my knowledge, and admittedly, I dont know everything, the self blue gene is not found in either american came or orientals......is it?

Quote:

lol.png

Walt

To the best of my knowledge, and admittedly, I dont know everything, the self blue gene is not found in either american came or orientals......is it?

Page 184 of the SOP lists self blue as a recognized color in OEG's, so I'm sure that it is present in American games, I haven't personally seen it in Orientals, but I'm guessing it is also present in them. There is a lot of diversity of color in games and Orientals. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

Walt

Quote:

Page 184 of the SOP lists self blue as a recognized color in OEG's, so I'm sure that it is present in American games, I haven't personally seen it in Orientals, but I'm guessing it is also present in them. There is a lot of diversity of color in games and Orientals. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

Walt

The self blue gene is not rare in Orientals such as an example in Shamo.

Back
Top Bottom