Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Pics
Yeah, maybe we should move on to other topics. I really wouldn't want my most successful thread to be shut down!
tongue.png

Cubalaya-on the lemon blues-

There are some good pics on feathersite in Old English section. Also, the Old english Game Bantam Club Website has a great gallery, with pics of about every color you could imagine, you just have to imagine the color on the breed of your choice..

I have bantam black/blue sumatras and a pair of largefowl dun. I will be working on dun bantams this year as well as getting rid of the nasty bantam look so many of the bantam sumatras have. We have a trio of bantams that look like largefowl, they dont have the funny looking face or the cobby body. All the birds are in a nasty molt right now but I'll get pics soon. I might be able to snag a pic of the dun hen since she is just getting done molting.

I have always liked Sumatra s, had considering getting some for free ranging, had heard they are real good at free ranging

They are great free rangers out here. I dont like to keep them penned up if I dont have to so they roam most of the summer. Even the sumatra crosses are good free range birds. My birds love to go running into the field and chase grasshoppers down. I have never lost a sumatra to predators and we have plenty around here. The sumatras will pick up and fly all the way back to the coop or run for cover faster than any other bird I've had. The bantams tend to like to pick fights more than my large blacks ever did but the dun cockerel I have is just a nippy little thing, every time I pick him up he'll grab on and break skin. The dun hen I have traces back to El Diablo our first real sumatra cock, he did awesome at APA shows. We sold some of his chicks to a guy who breeds more game & hackle type birds. He crossed those sumatras with mostly other sumatras but got the duns by an outcross to a game, he doesnt know what kind other than it was close feathered with a black peacomb. He bred those back to sumatras from our line and got good duns. We got the hen from him last year and bred from her for a bit before we sold the rest of the largefowl. The cockerel is from her and one of the largefowl blacks right before they got sold.

I still have to find some Sumatra then. They don't have top be great birds, decent quality would work for what I am wanting them for.. have ya'll tried any of ideals Sumatras? I know the scoop on hatchery birds, but now and then they actually do ok.

I just gave away my last pair of large fowl black sumatra.
Cock bird had 12 spurs total 6 on ea leg.
Exhibition strains though, both were recesive for white.
They produced many whites, but didn't keep any though .
Kinda regret it now that I think about it.
sad.png

Quote:
I raise quite a few exhibition quality Black Sumatras and would love to have a recessive white thrown in my birds. White Sumatras of decent quality are nearly impossible to find. Wish I could find some.

We have a few Ideal Sumatras left. Actually, the overall type is excellent on the ones we got, but, the bantams were too big, the large too small. Otherwise, really not too bad. Other than size, good birds.

Back
Top Bottom