Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Pics
Quote:
Someone told me basically the same thing Gallorojo just said: large too small, bantam too big; but great type. Perhaps IDEAL once had good Sumatras, but excessive inbreeding has killed their size.
hu.gif

Here are a few pics of my sumatras, I had to chase them down then put them in a pen together otherwise they'd be all over the place. These are basically the only sumatras not in a nasty molt right now.

Dun hen

Blue bantam hen

The three of them together

Gresh, the bantam hen we have left weighs about 32 ounces.. Way too big. Should be 22 ounces.

Before we go further, I just want to point out that when you buy chicks, from anybody, anybody, some percentage will be junk, some will be ok, some good, and if you are really lucky, maybe a few will be great. To get a real fair idea, you'd have to buy at least 30 chicks. I think we ordered something like 6 and 6 ? originally, so not a fair sample. If I sold you a box of day old Cubalayas, I can promise you at least 1/2 would be culls. One of the best benefits to buying adult birds is that somebody has done the culling for you already, hence the greater price. Well worth it usually though, in the end.

Back
Top Bottom