Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Pics
Quote:
congrats he looks great,he looks better in these pics, I suggested thst he was probably a cross when you posted pictures of him when he was younger.
I guess we just give him more time to show what he really he is ,he looks great .
for him I'll recommend if is possible to find him some Thai hens or shamos.
I don't know what kind of hens the others will recommend.
I would trim those nails to help him with those toes just care ful doing it.

Last edited:
Congratulations Gresh ! Ivan is a handsome fowl . Cuda , Got Game, and Gallo are far more experienced in gamefowl and have given you sound advise and I for one would heed their words . I would guess that this is a very Merry Christmas for you .

Quote:
I'm glad his toes aren't crooked. I was a little concerned with that. He is a very healthy-acting bird, too. Strutting around, dancing for whatever barnyard hens are nearby, crowing exultingly at random, etc. I'm very happy with him. Would like to get a Shamo, Asil, or Thai hen to go with him once I get everything situated. I would prefer a Thai because he seems to favor a Thai in his body structure. Seems a bit too low in his carriage for a Shamo, plus his tail is held a bit higher, I think.

I will keep an eye on his beak. What exactly constitutes a broken beak?

Quote:
I'm glad you don't see any crooked toes. What exactly constitutes a crooked toe, then?

I'm a little disappointed that he seems to be a cross, but I'm just glad he's an Oriental game. That's been my dream, and I have it fulfilled, to an extent.

I see a crooked toe on the left foot, inside toe..unless that part facing backwards is just the nail

Walt

Last edited:
Gresh ! only in the last pic it looks like he is missing part of his upper beak. Might be the angle of the shot. To me his toes twist to the side indicative of walking on hard surfaces with no bedding . Raising chicks on newspaper with no litter can do that as well. Curled toes bent at the joints can be an incubator problem but I personally don't breed from them , as it can be inherited .

The top part of the beak looks to have been broken off at some point from what I can see in the pics, the outer shell of it. Most times it will grow back, not usually like it should be, but good enough. You have to watch that it can close his beak all the way so his tongue is covered good, and that the lower beak doesn't grow too long as the top is growing back. If you keep it trimmed if it does start getting long, it will help keep the top beak growing properly if it is going to. You also want to keep the bird where it can't fight anything and damage it further. I would also keep him of the concrete as it's not good for his legs or beak. Good luck.

Quote:
I can't speak for gallo, but I am about as ignorant to oriental fowl as Cuda is knowledgeable about them. I appreciate the inference though, it means i am learning.

Illia, sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. I empathize with you, as I've had the same such luck hounding me these last couple of years. I hope you're able to find a couple of good hens this next year.
smile.png

Quote:

Quote:
Okay, I will be sure to monitor his beak. Up close, he seems to have a perfect beak. It closes perfectly and is not crooked. But I will still keep an eye on things.

My Dad and I are trying hard to get a pen for Ivan so his legs won't be damaged by the concrete. I was a little worried about that and you have confirmed my concerns. If you have any suggestions as to building a pen for him in a cheap, economical way, I'd appreciate it. Every little helps.
smile.png

Quote:
Okay, I will be sure to monitor his beak. Up close, he seems to have a perfect beak. It closes perfectly and is not crooked. But I will still keep an eye on things.

My Dad and I are trying hard to get a pen for Ivan so his legs won't be damaged by the concrete. I was a little worried about that and you have confirmed my concerns. If you have any suggestions as to building a pen for him in a cheap, economical way, I'd appreciate it. Every little helps.
smile.png

4 wooden pallets, a few sheets of tin, some poultry wire or welded wire fencing, a few screws...
wink.png

Lots of ideas on another web forum I know of...

Look around at places that get big appliances, 4 wheelers (quads), etc... They may have some wooden crates. Usually they will give them away if you ask. Flip the crate over (puts the pallet base on top) toss a tarp, plastic, or attach some tin on top, wire up the sides & attach a sight barrier. Adding a door will allow you to feed & water easier.

Back
Top Bottom