Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I agree that 10X10 is large enough for a quad, as long as the hens get along. That's not always the case, but if they are together now, it should workI have a trio in about half that much room and it works.......Pop

Thanks everyone, This is actually my sons started project, we have right now a young wheaten stag & 3 young pullets & all are together in one pen about 12 x 30 but we are building a perment one for them now the pen will be 5 ft. tall shurly we will have to put a top over the whole pen, These birds are very flighty, am I right on this ?

I don't know how flighty they are. I accidentally let one of my pullets out a few months ago and she flew up about 10ft up into a tree. She just got spooked because it was really windy that day. It was funny to get her down from a tree. My Stag is pretty big so I don't think I would worry about him but I would worry about the hens. I cover all of my pens due to Hawks.

Nate

Last edited:
As in skittish? I'd hate to be another odd one out but I'd disagree. Maybe compared to other Orientals, as I've little experience with others, but compared to most breeds in general, they're among the calmest and most tolerating.

As in loving to fly, I guess I'd rate them so-so. The females are very adventurous and will get up into anywhere, anything , both genders prefer the highest perch they can manage, but otherwise the males are pretty down to earth.

Last edited:
As in skittish? I'd hate to be another odd one out but I'd disagree. Maybe compared to other Orientals, as I've little experience with others, but compared to most breeds in general, they're among the calmest and most tolerating.

As in loving to fly, I guess I'd rate them so-so. The females are very adventurous and will get up into anywhere, anything , both genders prefer the highest perch they can manage, but otherwise the males are pretty down to earth.

I agree Illia, My Shamos are one of the most docile Large Breeds I have. They haven't ever shown aggression towards people and mine are decent layers so far.

Nate

Last edited:

Yep, I'd second this.. Not sure how well my hens can fly, but one of my cocks I have never seen get higher than maybe.. 6-7 feet off the ground? That was after jumping from a three foot or so porch and flying 5 feet before falling and he was still young/fairly small then. Most of the time they are down the earth, hardly ever even think of flying. I'd still cover the pen though due to predators.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
i just looked at each of these breeds and they all look the same!! lol

i was given eggs from one of these breeds except i know there not cornish. the owner dont know which one they were. the parents got killed by dogs.

the eggs are kinda round
smallish
and light brown/tan in color

ones hatching soo ill take a pic of the chick and post it when it hatches

Last edited:
Look, every chicken, whether it can fly good or not, will get out of a pen with no top if it wants to, except maybe a meat chicken...lol. They can flap their wings and walk up the side of the wire to get out if they can't fly good enough. You also need shade, and something to shed water as well. As far as og's being flighty, young birds can be, especially when they have had little human contact, but as they mature, it will change. 10 x 10 is plenty big enough for a quad.

I had a few Shamo chicks Hatch Last night! I set 5 test eggs and I had 4 Chicks hatch! I will take a few pictures today. They have a different color variety than I expected. I have white with black wing feathers and a few others.

What is the color of my Stag?

Nate

Last edited:
I had a few Shamo chicks Hatch Last night! I set 5 test eggs and I had 4 Chicks hatch! I will take a few pictures today. They have a different color variety than I expected. I have white with black wing feathers and a few others.

What is the color of my Stag?

Nate

Nate, I would call your bird a "Black Red". Shamo along with most Oriental gamefowl were never selected for color, so don't be too surprised if you end up with 2-3, maybe even 4-5 different color variations out of the birds. Some strains are more uniform, but many are not.

God bless,
Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom