Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I'm reading a lot of stuff in the last few pages that gives me great concern. You folks do understand that the birds you are writing about are gamefowl, don't you? They don't play well with others, period. Because they are orientals, they are easy to handle, but they cannot associate with othe males. If you want to keep your regular barnyard breeds running loose in your yard, ya gotta pen up your oriental stags. If you have more than one oriental stag. you hafta pen up all except one and maybe even all of them. If you don't have enough facilities for all of them, build them. They will NEVER get along with other males, NEVER. If you can't deal with it, you should rethink your desire to keep them. They surely are magnificent creatures, but the liability rivals owning a pit bull. Every stag, every cock, needs his own pen and usually every hen/pullet needs her own pen unless penned with a cock. I still have a lot to learn, even after 54 years, but I'm reading about a ton of novice mistakes. Please think before you purchase or obtain any of these fine game breeds.........Pop

I have to agree with you pop. I see it time and time again where people jump into game breeds without really knowing what they are getting into. Days of free ranging any mature fowl are over when you get games, period. That goes for all other chickens unless all your game pens have solid sight barriers, like tin. The quickest way to ruin a gamecock is to let some barnyard rooster run loose where it will pen fight the game chicken, which it will, guaranteed. Having a fence between two birds gives the barnyard rooster all the courage it needs to cause trouble. The game cock will beat itself to death against the wire trying to get to it, and the barnyard will sit out of reach at peck at it's head until its the size of an orange. You also can not pen birds in a pen that is not fully enclosed. They will get out eventually, even if it's 20 feet tall. Gamefowl are not for inexperienced breeders at all. They take a lot of space and dedication to keep. Lord knows there are a lot of dunghill games out there, especially when you are talking breeds like Shamo, but even those you may still have to treat the same way. On a side note, although Thai and Ga Noi are somewhat similar in type and size, they are really quite different breeds. Both originate in the same part of the world, but while Ga Noi are bred mostly for being powerful birds, Thai are bred for their style. Now there are a fair share of non-game Thai out there too, as they also get raised as meat birds amongst Hmong families, but both breeds original purpose was being bred for their gameness. Also, with any quality oriental games, the hens can be worse than the cocks and need to be kept separate as well. I good hen will kill a stag if he's not up to the task of submitting her to breed.

I'm reading a lot of stuff in the last few pages that gives me great concern. You folks do understand that the birds you are writing about are gamefowl, don't you? They don't play well with others, period. Because they are orientals, they are easy to handle, but they cannot associate with othe males. If you want to keep your regular barnyard breeds running loose in your yard, ya gotta pen up your oriental stags. If you have more than one oriental stag. you hafta pen up all except one and maybe even all of them. If you don't have enough facilities for all of them, build them. They will NEVER get along with other males, NEVER. If you can't deal with it, you should rethink your desire to keep them. They surely are magnificent creatures, but the liability rivals owning a pit bull. Every stag, every cock, needs his own pen and usually every hen/pullet needs her own pen unless penned with a cock. I still have a lot to learn, even after 54 years, but I'm reading about a ton of novice mistakes. Please think before you purchase or obtain any of these fine game breeds.........Pop
Sound advice, sir. Unfortunately I had to find this out the hard way with my cock. Thank Heaven he isn't too game, but he's definitely cock-of-the-walk, and I'm certain that if he ever spent too much time in an enclosed space with my non-game roosters, he'd kill them. He recently got in a spat with my Orloff cockerel and beat the tar out of him before I was able to break it up.

I will have to reconsider my desire to keep Orientals until I can make some good pens. I've thought about raising Sumatras or Cubalayas since they're more or less Oriental, but without the gameness. I just don't have the practical funds to keep more than one Oriental game chicken right now....

~Gresh~

Cuda, Thanks for your input there. It never entered my mind about the metal, or solid, barriors, because I have always penned my birds in seperate individual pens. Good thing to pass along.

Gresh, the other breeds you mention that you would like to keep, are descendent from real gamefowl. As such, you will find most of them to be very aggressive, just not up to whipping a truly game rooster. I realize how hard it is to not have the funds or facilities to keep fowl you admire, but reality is sometimes cruel. I'm sure that someday the tides will turn and you will have both. When you do, you will begin with your eyes wide open. Good luck.........Pop

Last edited:
That blue is gonna be a looker
big_smile.png
I love a good blue Madagascar. Especially with a dewlap.

Back
Top Bottom