Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

The reason many Shamo at feather shows vary, is because they are mixed up crap bred to be big, and that's about it. The pic Walt posted reminds me of Julia's stock, which is both very good in type, and performance bred as well, as a Shamo should be. JMO

Blaine, if you own a copy of the APA standard, you will see inside a picture of the guy you just talked trash to....he is on the committee, and a very well respected judge and exhibitor.

I wasn't talking trash to anyone. I was making a comment on "there are no show types". I was trying to keep this a positive thread. I've really enjoyed all 150sum pages of it and want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. I appoligize for not knowing whose comments I'm allowed to to read and have an opinion about. Thanks again to the posters. Blaine

The reason many Shamo at feather shows vary, is because they are mixed up crap bred to be big, and that's about it. The pic Walt posted reminds me of Julia's stock, which is both very good in type, and performance bred as well, as a Shamo should be. JMO
It is Julia's stock...or his parent are Julia's stock and I have them here. I have posted pics of others here as well.

Walt

No, that's not what I mean, I hope we don't think the "game" topic is coming to mind again,

But by the way, what? Hatchery birds? Why does everyone think I had hatchery birds? I never claimed an expert, hardly, considering I've only had Shamos for a couple years, and my first birds were certainly not hatchery. I'd be the last person to get games from a hatchery.

What I mean by performance vs show is, I guess in a nutshell, birds who have imported lines at most 3 generations back, or who are the exact same lines as an imported lineage, as in, no outcrossing at all, versus birds who are from lines that are regularly shown. I'm not pointing fingers to anyone's birds though if that is what is thought. I don't know who's birds have what behind them when I see pictures or hear of wins at shows or anything, I'm just stating that I often find birds with a longer US-born show history in their lineage, they tend to actually look different from birds who either aren't bred for show or who have close lineage to imported birds. And yes I am aware, not many Shamos are actually shown.

A better explanation might be, I find most birds winning shows and who have parents/grandparents who also commonly win shows look different from ones who have never and who's parents/grandparents have never seen a show. Not coming down on anyone's stock, I'm just stating what I see. If one disagrees, okay. I just don't see where the implications are coming from on me being expert, not understanding gaminess, or having hatchery stock are coming from.
I could find where you posted that your original birds came from a hatchery....maybe you meant something else, That is why I sent you Suzann Chung's address several months ago.
She has some of the best here in the US. Shamo's are hardly ever shown, so I thought I would show this guy. Most show people have never seen a Shamo. How many have you seen at a show? Have you ever been to a real show? It is not just me who gets the impression that you want to come across as an expert and not just on this thread. I think you are an extremely bright young lady, but everything you know is what you have read........and what you read is not always correct. I am not trying to run anyone down, but there is so much mis-information on this site, I occasionally get tired of it and respond.

Just trying to keep it real Illia.

Walt

Last edited:
I wasn't talking trash to anyone. I was making a comment on "there are no show types". I was trying to keep this a positive thread. I've really enjoyed all 150sum pages of it and want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. I appoligize for not knowing whose comments I'm allowed to to read and have an opinion about. Thanks again to the posters. Blaine
I have no problem with your post and all the comments here are opinions. I also agree that posts should be positive, but sometimes I just get a little crazy over some of the off the wall comments/opinions on BYC, particularly when they are inaccurate..

Edit: just because someone is selling "show" Shamo's it does not mean they are show birds or Shamo's. People sell all kinds of junk online. Do they have pics?

The bottom line here is if a person has "BYC EDUCATOR" under their name they better be able to back up what they say...and it is better not to say anything if you don't know. CUDA nailed it with his comments. He knew what kind of bird it is and who's line it might be. That is a person who knows his stuff.

Walt

Last edited:
Very Nice Walt,

Hope All Is Well
Keep Up the Good Work.

Sent you some pics of some of my fowl, would appreciate it if you gave them a look, let me know what you think.

Thanks Again,
Josh Trujillo.
I won Res-Champion large fowl with this guy last weekend. He is a Dark Shamo yearling....he will be bigger next year.
At four weeks old my Shamo's are killing each other.

Walt

I could find where you posted that your original birds came from a hatchery....maybe you meant something else, That is why I sent you Suzann Chung's address several months ago.
She has some of the best here in the US. Shamo's are hardly ever shown, so I thought I would show this guy. Most show people have never seen a Shamo. How many have you seen at a show? Have you ever been to a real show? It is not just me who gets the impression that you want to come across as an expert and not just on this thread. I think you are an extremely bright young lady, but everything you know is what you have read........and what you read is not always correct. I am not trying to run anyone down, but there is so much mis-information on this site, I occasionally get tired of it and respond.

Just trying to keep it real Illia.

Walt
Nope, my original birds came from a guy who goes by the username sleepy. He now raises true purebred Ga Noi fowl, and the Shamos I got from him came from Jim Zook birds and I believe an imported cock. No hatchery was involved.

I'm fully aware of this whole expert misconception thing, and I've mentioned it before that I am in no way so, I think this came from not understanding what I said earlier, plus the whole hatchery misinformation surely doesn't help either. I did actually mention them being in a mixed flock before, but it was only the one hen who was introduced with other hens for a while, which she did fine with for a few weeks, then after that and I've mentioned it before, she started ripping feathers, spurring, and just making weird dominance games of terrorizing all the other hens. (non game)

I was looking for Suzann's birds, yes, still am when I can afford a shipped bird again.

Ish,
One of the hens this time got ahold of a bufo. Luckily I was standing there and saw her. I was able to get the benadryl in her before her throat swelled as much as the cock's did when he got one. Those are some nasty creatures.
sharon

I won Res-Champion large fowl with this guy last weekend. He is a Dark Shamo yearling....he will be bigger next year.
At four weeks old my Shamo's are killing each other.

Walt

Walt,

That bird is a stunner! ! ! ! ! You would be hard press to find a better looking example of a true O--$h1t-now-thats-a--SHAMO!!! On this site or any other site on the internet......I take that back you can find birds like that all over Japan.
wink.png

Congratulations on the ribbon my friend.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom