Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Can you really "test" orientals without having them injured or killed and still breedable? just doesn't make sense how it would be possible unless you have a really, really bad cock.

When you have cocks tied out on tie cords, can you have ANY other fowl loose? Obviously not Gamefowl.
You can, but you have to watch it. Some dunghills like to get out to the edge of the cord and take shots at their head where they can't reach them.. But if they ever get in close, they'll usually run off and leave the other cock alone. Hens are fine, but other cocks may need to be watched. Gamefowl; definitely a no.

"Can you really "test" orientals without having them injured or killed and still breedable? just doesn't make sense how it would be possible unless you have a really, really bad cock."

Depends on your method of testing, in any form; which I cannot provide too much information on especially not here.. Yes, it is possible, and done so quite often; but there are those risks that a bird can get severely damaged or killed. A bird can accidentally escape from a pen, which does happen sometimes unless you make sure everything is always perfect, and get injured/killed. You can be holding a cock, he accidentally jumps from your hand and goes to a cock on tie and one is killed by a paralyzing blow to the head/back. Doesn't mean it is common occurrence, doesn't mean it will happen, but it means that it CAN happen and has happened.

That being said, we can't encourage allowing such testing methods (many people are against it, and in many states it could be/is a felony offense); it is against forum rules and may result in the closing down of the thread. But in a purely hypothetical question, I provide a hypothetical answer.
wink.png

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. So I guess the reason why you can't let a gamefowl "work it out" with a farm fowl is because the risk of a broken necks/back.
Only if you don't want to lose a farm fowl, I have never seen any farm fowl (Even large breeds like the Rhode Island Red) that were accurate/strong enough to do any real damage unless they were at it for a long time. But American Game, Shamo, and various other Oriental game have and can break backs, necks, and cause enough head trauma to kill a bird with one blow. Not common, but it happens. As read about in a earlier post on this thread, gamefowl (regardless of AG or Oriental) can sometimes even break their own legs with the amount of force they use.

But in a hypothetical sense, there wouldn't have been much reason to let a game work it with a farm fowl. Most farm fowl can't handle a gamecock too long before running, the ones that have are usually half game to begin with instead of pure heritage breeds. But even then, they are no where near as good as even some of the worst true games because of their lines carrying a breed that was never bred for it.. Which would make all tests useless; if a cock does lose to a heritage breed then you know he was horrible except in some cases.

Case in point: A long time ago, back when we had a lot of birds, we had a lot of cocks on tie and I had one killed by a "Jap" (Oriental graded to AG). This Jap cock was one of the most worthless birds you could ever see, he wasn't game, he wasn't friendly, he wasn't big enough to want to really eat, he wasn't that pretty, etc. But he was smart enough to pull the other cock out to the end of the tie where he couldn't get hit and then he just started working on the other birds head until he killed him (probably took hours, but we weren't home or it happened early in the morning before anyone woke up if I remember correctly)...

So, we penned the Jap up, dad ended up giving him to a friend.. The friend took him home and the cock got loose or something before he could put him in a pen (as I mentioned, not friendly. About as batty of a bird as you will ever see, except junglefowl. He wasn't quite that bad); the cock ended up running the yard and wouldn't face any of the roosters in pens, on tie, nothing.. He just ran off into the woods and wouldn't come near anyone or into the yard because of the other cocks. My dads friend ended up just walking out into the woods and taking care of him with a rifle I believe..

Granted the cock didn't face currently, but with non-game stock they are the flakiest birds I've ever seen. One day they're scared of everything, the next they'll pick at things through wire/cocks out at the edge of the tie.. So like I said, you can let other birds than game free range while others are on tie. But it can cause issues, you have to really watch the birds; like my Leghorns and Kraienköppe, right now at about 6 months old.. They will face a cock on tie to a degree, they're still too scared to jump him usually but they do face him up until the moment he grabs ahold of them and ends up running them out of his territory.

I watched the Kraienköppe and Leghorns fight each other (not long, maybe a minute or so max as Leghorns don't typically fight long) and then they turn around and seems like the same ones are back at it again in a day or two... At least games are smart enough to know "He's the boss" and leave him alone until they come of age for the most part.

God bless,
Daniel.

okay, I see.

Yep. But, as I said before. To allow games to "work" nowadays is pretty much a felony offense in most places, or at the least, a misdemeanor. So I don't encourage it. They are breeds that are excellent to have around, but they can be more costly to raise and to a degree more complicated due to the gameness nature. I think everyone should try games at least once, they're nice birds to have around. But I don't encourage everyone to try and pick up breeding true gamefowl (at least without knowing all of the details) because it isn't an easy task to do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom