Ostrich Eating Eggs

Pele

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Boise
Hi all, I thought I'd post this question here so I could get the down-low from the experts.

I'm very interested in purchasing Ostrich eating eggs, as I've heard a lot about how wonderful they are in baking. However, all my internet prowling on Google yeilds eggs for insane prices. Is it possible to find a good source of eggs at less than 40 bucks an egg? (It turns into over 50 dollars with shipping. Talk about expensive muffins!).

And more importantly, is it unreasonable for me to ask for less than 30 to 40 an egg? I don't want to offend anyone by e-mailing them about an unreasonable price break.

Thanks for any information or feedback you can provide!

Most likely those eggs are for hatching, so they are worth more. Many ratites will not lay unless there is breeding, so it's not like someone has eggs laying around from an infertile female like you do chickens. You could put an ad out asking for ones for baking and see if anyone replies. If someone is not breeding them , you may get a better deal... but also people use the egg shells for art/crafts... so it keeps the price up.
You might be better off using duck & goose eggs which are very good for baking.... and cheaper... hehe
wink.png

now an ostrich would equal what 15-18 regular chicken eggs? How many muffins you planning to make? Or should I ask what army you feeding?:confused:
:lau

I've heard its more like 2 dozen chicken eggs, not that I've used any Ostrich eggs though.

I saw on ebay a week or 2 ago where someone was selling week old emu eggs for eating or crafts at a lower price, maybe your could ask if they have week old eggs, or eggs they wouldn't want to hatch?

now an ostrich would equal what 15-18 regular chicken eggs? How many muffins you planning to make? Or should I ask what army you feeding?
hu.gif

lau.gif

Heehee, actually, I'm experimenting with making my own wedding centerpeice (havn't settled on the pastry). So the army would be my fiance's family. The attendance list just keeps growing *sigh*.

Back
Top Bottom