OUINOA ?

Canadian researchers found, "Examination of antinutrients indicated very little trypsin inhibitor activity" for quinoa. Sounds good.

North Dakota State folks report, "Trypsin inhibiting activity of raw pea was reported by Valdebouze and co-workers (1980) to be from 5-20 times less than that reported for raw soybeans." Still, they want you to know that peas should be limited in the diet of pigs. They fed peas at 20% of the diet but it was "extruded" peas. Extruding heats the feed and heat eliminates the antinutrients, as I understand.

Peas have also been evaluated for poultry feed but I've forgotten where I read about that. Whatever the case, I recall that the comparison with soybeans showed about the same thing. Since, soy amounts to about 30% of many poultry feeds - I guess we can assume that cooking peas should make them very safe. Uncooked, they are probably just okay. That's about as far as I'd go without more credible information.

Steve
edited (very late) to fix the link for the fieldpea info

Last edited:
Raw or cooked. Mine love leftover quinoa, especially with tomatoes mixed in (I think I'll go make some now!). Not sure why cooked grains would be different than raw, but sprouted would likely be the best of all...

Isn't quinoa high high-ish in protein?
I'm trying to put together a high-protein treat, and if it _is_ high, I could use it instead of oatmeal (provided it's higher than oatmeal;) ). I have a bunch.

-C

If you are talking about regular breakfast oatmeal, the USDA shows that it has 13% protein.

For quinoa, they have it at 14% protein.

BTW - I've fixed the link on my 11/11 post for the pea info from NDSU
roll.png
. Sorry

Steve

Back
Top Bottom