Our first chicks - in urban Denver!

Butterprint

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 10, 2013
Denver, CO
We just bought our first home and are SO excited that we can keep chickens now. No HOA or anything to hold us back anymore. We can keep up to 8, but we're starting out with four chicks. I'd really like a couple Buff Orpingtons and a couple Araucanas.

For now, we have a Cherry Egger, a Delaware x Hampshire, a Gold Star, and a Barred Rock. I'm hoping none of these ladies are too aggressive as we have three children under 6. But I'm giving them some gentle attention to get them used to us. The kids have been GREAT with them so far. I'm very pleased.

Any advice on raising gentle urban chickens would be much appreciated! I'll have more reasons to post around here too now ;-)

Congrats on your new home and chicks. We also live in Denver and have had chickens for two years. We also have taken advantage of the urban farm animals and have two nigerian dwarf goats. The chickens are great, our neighbors love them. We did have a fox get two late one evening in the summer, I had gotten a little too lax about locking up the girls and it was about 9 pm. Also had a dog jump into the yard but he was more interested playing with them thank goodness. We do have a neighbor that has called animal control a few time claiming we had a rooster, which was in the neighborhood somewhere, just not at my house. Animal control has always been nice and impressed with our set up. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

good to see some more fellow coloradans on here! I'm in Arvada. I should have my coop up and ready by next week. We are allowed up to 5 Chickens in Arvada. I am thinking I will start out with 6 though. I can't imagine I would buy chicks and end up with all females! Of course we aren't allowed any roosters. Are you allowed to have them in Denver?

Congrats on the new chicks! Handle them often, get them used to eating from your hand, and enjoy them
big_smile.png

My 5 year old daughter is so excited she can hardly stand it. We have a very large garden and she helps me with that, I guess i'm grooming a future urban farmer! She helped me pick out all the chicken breeds. My sister has 8 or 9 chickens and it was important to my daughter that we got different kinds than her aunt.

good to see some more fellow coloradans on here! I'm in Arvada.  I should have my coop up and ready by next week. We are allowed up to 5 Chickens in Arvada. I am thinking I will start out with 6 though.  I can't imagine I would buy chicks and end up with all females!  Of course we aren't allowed any roosters. Are you allowed to have them in Denver?

No roosters allowed in Denver. One of my chicks is male, I will have to re- home him.

Back
Top Bottom