Our Heat Plate Set up. (Pic Heavy)

Away2me

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Hemet, CA
Just wanted to share how I decided to raise our chicks using a Heat Plate brooder from Premier. We live in a very warm climate and because our chicks didn't hatch till May 30th we think it is warm enough to raise them this way.

This morning we got our 15 (14 survivors) Black Australorp chicks. I put the heat plate in the coop portion and set their food and water in the yard. I put shavings outside the coop entrance so that they could easily travel back to their warm spot. I raised one corner of the heat plate.

The figured out the water quickly and the food location and seem to be very content on this warm day outside in the yard portion. They go back and forth on their own.

My boys are so excited .... this mom is too!
wee.gif

Since this photo was taken I have raised one corner of the heat plate and I have moved the water.

From the inside looking out.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share how I decided to raise our chicks using a Heat Plate brooder from Premier. We live in a very warm climate and because our chicks didn't hatch till May 30th we think this it is warm enough to raise them this way. This morning we got our 15 (14 survivors) Black Australorp chicks. I put the heat plate in the coop portion and set their food and water in the yard. I put shavings outside the coop entrance so that they could easily travel back to their warm spot. I raised one corner of the heat plate. The figured out the water quickly and the food location and seem to be very content on this warm day outside in the yard portion. They go back and forth on their own. My boys are so excited .... this mom is too! :weee Since this photo was taken I have raised one corner of the heat plate and I have moved the water.
I use a electric hen too, is there a reason you raise one corner?

I use a electric hen too, is there a reason you raise one corner?
Yes, I felt like it was just too low all over. This way they can get it to touch their backs or they can stand up under it if they move to the one end that is raised. Plus there are a few chicks that seem big enough that it looked almost too short. Now they all can find just the right size. I figured it certainly couldn't hurt.

I ordered the small plate, but was sent the large plate, so there is more than enough room for all of them. :D

Yes its very big! Mine should fit 20 and it fits 6!
That's a good idea I might try that I'm worried it ps too hot if it touches their backs
Mine sleep with their heads out of it or on top of it, I've made my perch just above the heater
Not that it gives off too much heat, just enough to bake the poo!

Yes its very big! Mine should fit 20 and it fits 6!
That's a good idea I might try that I'm worried it ps too hot if it touches their backs
Mine sleep with their heads out of it or on top of it, I've made my perch just above the heater
Not that it gives off too much heat, just enough to bake the poo!
I figure as long as they have the ability to have it touch their backs while they are laying down (all of them at the same time) than it doesn't hurt to give them the option to to stand under one portion too.

Our chicks continue to do awesome in this set up. They are now venturing out of the chicken yard into our backyard when we watch them. I raised the heat plate and everyone seems content with the height.

They run to my kids when they tap on the gate. So cute!

Back
Top Bottom