Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Hi Smoothsewing! Welcome to our little world where we talk about things that our other friends just don't 'get' lol

Thanks for the kind words. Stop to chat any time you like.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome!

hahaha yes in only 2 weeks time I understand my friends think I am nuts crazy I just posted on my blog this morning how everyone said I need help. it was cold today so I got up early before work and made them some warm oatmeal.

No... They will know you have problems when you are walking with a friend through the grocery and you pick up big bags of frozen corn and peas for those hot summer days... Yup. We here, we totally understand. I usually make hot oatmeal with raisins, egg(bust a few whole eggs, shell and all), corn, peas... bring it out to them just as it's time for roosting in the winter. They get up on the roost with nice full warm crops and yup... As Phil Roberts would say, "Happy, Happy, Happy."

Oh wow in 2 weeks and yes I already went to the store not get get anything except the fresh water mellon the sign said they had. it was totally for a chicken stop only. You all here will protect me from them trying to pull me out off the Hen house and put me in the nut house me yes?

ah yes well than I see why I keep coming back. yes its a wild fun world here in chicken land for sure. I might even start to feel bad for my non chicken understanding friends. they are missing out.

Some just don't get it, funnily enough I am sure they won't mind being stocked with free range eggs though!

I ask my grocer for bags of lettuce, you know the ones they peel off to keep the stock looking fresh. They know exactly whats it's for, I am sure they are asked all the time lol.

All our birds are on a mix of Super poultry feed and grower crumble now, plus what ever fresh stuff we can give them, they seem to enjoy lawn the most though! That time of one flock is coming closer.

Pam, as for needing encouragement.....don't let that one, I am trying to play hard ball to get some free fertile eggs lol. I am sure it will all work out in the end.

Some just don't get it, funnily enough I am sure they won't mind being stocked with free range eggs though!

I ask my grocer for bags of lettuce, you know the ones they peel off to keep the stock looking fresh. They know exactly whats it's for, I am sure they are asked all the time lol.

All our birds are on a mix of Super poultry feed and grower crumble now, plus what ever fresh stuff we can give them, they seem to enjoy lawn the most though! That time of one flock is coming closer.

Pam, as for needing encouragement.....don't let that one, I am trying to play hard ball to get some free fertile eggs lol. I am sure it will all work out in the end.
Yes indeed!! They do like eating the eggs, just don't get the 'chicken thing". They all talk about the bright Orange/yellow yolk and how different they taste compared to store eggs.

Scott

We used to get comments about how the yolks 'stood up' as well as the colour. Funny what the difference is between fresh and free over 6 week old cage.

So, today is the birthday for our two little flocks, 7 weeks for our little ones and 12 weeks for our big kids.

We let them all out for a bit today for some supervised lawn time, and a bit of a chance to have a closer look at each other. Be prepared for a few pics!

"I'm out...but I think I want back in!"

"You can look at my pencil's, but not my face"
\

"Excuse me...but you're in my way"

"...and this is the master suite, I sleep over there"

"There's only one thing to do at times like these Mr Tea"
"What's that mate?"
"Strut!"

"I wish he turned the floor boards over the other way, this side is much better to look at"

"I'm calling a meeting, everyone huddle...bring it in"

Barney, experimenting with some alone time + iPhone shadow

Big chickens and little little chickens getting closer.

Baby, getting pretty big, easy to pick the two without the slate legs, but hard to tell them apart now.

And here are a few of the older birds, out for a waltz on the lawn.

"The vines...we can get to the VINE!!!!"

Miss Luna......seems to like to be in control.

and something a bit different, particularly for the US folk following along. My pride and joy. Had a club run on today so it got a thorough detail and wax before I took Cooper out for a drive in the hills with friends. It's a 2010 Ford XR8 Utility. Sadly, with the closing of Ford Australia, this model and all other locally produced models re on the endangered list.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom