Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Ah ok, way off lol.

I thought it may have been one of these beauties.

IMG_0931.jpg

Copied from the first post in this really long thread, no I didn't read it all....yes I did read a lot of it hahaha

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/98335/whats-wrong-with-their-feathers

Still no eggs.

I do how ever, have two photo's of the only survivor of our first flock. For the long time followers you may recall Latte. She was the only bird who never showed a sign of MD, we didn't want to put her down so another family that got rescue birds from the same place as us on the same day wanted her. Sweetly, they gave us her first egg, which was 1 week after we re-homed her! Typical lol.

Anyway, her is a pic from Alicia's phone. It is a few weeks old now as I kept forgetting to download them.

She is stunning, all grown up and the best layer of the 7 hens they have, and their daughters favorite. The breeder we got her off said she was caramel RIR cross Australorp, but I honestly don't know what crosses it took, but I wish I could replicate it!

Here with Riley (4)

A well natured bird, good layer and very nice looking now in her grown up feathers!

aww - so pretty. (Riley's quite a looker too :))I'm glad she looks healthy and happy. One of my 13wk olds is a RIR/buff orpington cross. I'm hoping she looks similar to Latte. She definately has that orpish shape with a RIR face and a nice reddish glow over the buff, as it appears Latte does too.

One day, you know the one where we have a couple of acres...we will work on producing more Latte's. I think you might be right, but some where along the lies green legs got in there too!

On another note, I have stumbled across a Australorp breeder. They breed Show and utility BA's, and also show quality BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeeeow!

Next hatch will have some, plus Maran's, I need to find some good dark brown lines locally so next year we can be looking at Olive eggs (back up plan for our Barnevelder's not being dark enough)

I would love to have some Buff Orp's in there too, but I fear we may be going over board already!

Ta Da! This is one of their breeder lines, closest I have found to a Blue Bell available within driving distance.

Can't wait, a breed Alicia is also really keen to get too.

Egg count is steady at 'store bought' Zip from any of my girls.

I did have a strange dream last night that I found a pile of rotten eggs in a old pot plant bucket (weird I know in so many ways). What even weirder, I went looking for that pile this afternoon hahahaha. Count is still at ZERO!

In other news I have been working on redeeming sold old feed. One of my darling sons thought it would be a good idea to hide his drink in the mixed grain bin one day (months ago), the bit of water seemed to encourage some little moths to eat the pellets in there. I really didn't want to throw out 20kg's of feed, yet didn't want to give the girls a mix which included powdery fluffy pellets.

I looked at fermenting feed, but chose a wash and soak method of sprouting. I watched some video's on sprouting to a fodder and also a 'grass' type feed. I decided to go for the fodder type.

Over three days I washed and separated the mixed gains, rinsing away the layer pellets, floating off the sunflower seeds. I then laid them inside one of my olive drums cut length ways and put them in the laundry to sprout. My first batch has just started to show signs of life.

I am going to let them go a little longer, but did a test feed today and they all went pretty crazy for the stuff. Our girls don't seem very keen on whole corn kernels, so I have pulled them out of the first batch and left them in water to soften some more, might split them by hand (or with a roller or something) and throw them to the girls when we have a few more.

Some tails are just starting to show.

I now have three batches going at different stages. As it comes out ready for use we will give a bit to the girls each day as a bit of a treat.

Still no eggs.

Egg count from the store... Lol

We are finally getting some relief from the humidityhere. Only got 6 eggs out of 15 layers yesterday! What?! Poor girls were miserable.

Mine don't care for the whole corn. They prefer cracked... Thus, chicken crack.

Ben - they owe you some golden eggs with all those special treats :lol: Mine won't touch whole corn either.
Pot plant buckets and chicken crack...my goodness. ;)
Egg count has been down a little here too. My EE roo is still trying to lay eggs though. Jeff made a special removeable screen door for the little coop so the chicks would have a westerly breeze during the day - their vents are on the north and south sides...and in the summer our breeze comes from the west off from the lake. SOOOO HUMID lately here too.

Our summers in Perth are generally a 'dry' heat, not overly humid like it is up north.

Might have to give these corn kernels a manual crack. Our first flock liked them, but these girls eat everything around it. I also found a thread on 'stackable' fodder racks which I would like to give a try if I can find the tray cheap enough.

I will die of impatience if we don't get an egg until 30 something weeks...........can probably also add of store bought malnutrition too. lol

Our keeper list of roo's is also under review, we were going to keep both the Ara roo's so we would know what the crosses would be. No matter which of the two 'did the job' we would have an idea of the combination. Turns out Steal is a bit on the nasty side and is making us doubt if we want to keep him around to breed. Barney the BV has suddenly made the short list along with Smudge.

Decisions to make on that front.

Got the first hatch and second pip of this weekend's group. Looks like my black hen may be mama to this one.

The second pipped at the wrong end.
Only 5 more to go. :)

My birds don't like the whole corn either. I use the crumbles.

Even with this humidity, I am still getting close to a dozen a day from the layers. Still waiting to see how many hatch from the broodies, too.

Back
Top Bottom