Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Hahahaha, someones sure did but none of mine, unless it was another invisible one, those buggers are hard to find!

Things seem to be progressing, some of the Ara's are getting pink ears, and Jewel squatted for me the other day, but she still has some time to go.

Poor Rosie tried her best to get away from Captain Randy aka Smudge, eventually she had to concede to him though.

I have been busy this weekend with a wedding and a heap of training. Had a 5000 m race on Saturday which I did really well in (quietly chuffed about my results, 1st in my age bracket, 9th overall and 19:51 minutes for any other runner following along) and a long run today (16 km) with Alicia meant I did not get time to grab a load of river sand for the run. I just gave it a hard rake over and turned it to try dry up some of the muddy patches. We have never had earth worms down there before and today I saw some whoppers, not quite a finger but some of the biggest I have seen so something must be going really well down there below ground level.

Hopefully get some top up sand this week if I can get away from work early enough.

But still, no eggs found, perhaps tomorrow.

Invisible eggs have an exquisite taste that's almost unimaginable.
19:51!!! Seriously that's awesome. Add 10 full minutes to that and we would be on pace - lol! You're lucky that Alicia shares your love for running. I bet it makes the miles fly by when you go on long runs together.
I raked out the chickens' run this morning and I'm suspecting my older hens are either starting to molt or else my younger ones are mini-molting. I raked up an unusually large pile of feathers - enough to make a few more chickens with. I'm hoping my younger ones will start laying before my 1+ year olds reduce laying for molt. A few look really close with red combs and wattles, and Mr. Sprinkles has been giving them a dance or two so they are getting closer. They're 18wks today. I'm hoping that because we're enjoying summer on our side of the planet that I won't have to wait too long. Sorry Ben!!! I promise not to tell you if my young ones lay before yours that are (4-5 wks?) a little older ;)

Oh feel free to share mate. Mine have been laying those invisible eggs for about a month. Cheeky devils aren't putting them in the nest box like I asked so I have yet the pleasure of tasting one.

I already suspect that your birds from the same hatch along are already laying. I am blaming the nice weather and expert parenting skills t hey receive.

I have worked really hard to get my times down, no real need but something I set my mind to. It is great when Alicia and I can get out together. Sometimes we take it easy with the kids on their bikes, others we have to go separate, but it's something we enjoy. Our parkrun's (name of the Saturday events, they are all over the world! Here is the US site, nearest event to you would be in Livonia - http://www.parkrun.us/livonia/) is something for fun, but has an accurate timing system, so it quenches my competitive side.

Our's flock had their mini molt a couple of weeks ago but seems to be back down to the 'normal' level now.

My yard looks like a pillow fight happened or there was a massacre, with no resulting bodies... Everywhere! Pillows exploded...

I have about 6 girls that should start laying this months end... Sweet. My oldest girl, 4, I think she's done. My next oldest, 2.5, think she's slowing, but she's a nice fat girl and give 3 eggs a week or so now. Most my other layers are in the 18-24 month range, a few are year olds... Those ones are broody as heck... ALL THE TIME! So, I am thinking we will be having the invisible egg syndrome here soon as well.

Shew! Had to catch up. Have been off for a while. My oldest girls have beautiful red faces but nothing yet. They are around 20 weeks. I think the heat we had recently put then off a little...
Still haven't built that run addition either. I'll get to it..when The youngest starts school next month, I hope. The oldest started last week.

I have two weeks... I think... maybe 3 before my boy goes back to school. I am regretting not signing my youngest up for preschool. Now it is too late, unless I pay for private preschool. Um... No. Not at the prices they charge... AND I'd only want him to go the two days a week.. while I work...

ANYWAY, some night monster tried to get into on of the coops last night. Found no way in, but sure did a number on the run tarp. Good thing I had just purchased a tarp for the run I have to put together... REAL SOON... for the marans. I will be building theirs the same as the one I built for the phoenix. Fencing ALL THE WAY AROUND! And Here is why that is a good idea... Since I don't shut my coop doors, and they've open access to the run from day break on. Not the marans yet... but soon...

Can you say SYKE! It sure did try though.

On a really depressing note... I live in the woods, kinda sorta. We have wild turkeys through all the time. I got chickens, not knowing all the different stuff that one should consider, like vaccines and such for mareks, cocci, mg... Well, never had a problem, and my understanding is it is probably thanks to the turkeys that I haven't. That and letting the mommas raise the babies from my stock, which seems to be more resistant to the big "M". And the strong possiblity that the birds are a "b" blood type.

However, seems that my beautiful phoenix are not as resistant. I had to do the terrible task of culling a golden pullet tonight. Looks like her sister will be next, and possibly the bbr pullet. Both boys and the lemon girl, and the jap all seem to be fine. I did some searching tonight, to see if there was anything I could possibly do. One of the things I came across was vaccinating all the birds, including the adults, even though they've already seem to have resistance naturally. This way, if the other phoenix don't exhibit signs of it now, they'll hopefully never develop the tumors. There is some double sided ideas, that if they are already exhibiting, it'll possible halt it, but other say if they are exhibiting, to cull. There is also a school of thought that giving hypericum to all the birds now, several times a day could stop the progression if they are exhibiting. There are several other suggested treatments, but to not get the hopes up, as a bird that survives it, could relapse, never be a strong bird. However there are also those that say a bird that recovers and is of robust health, and never has another occurrence, you can breed them. The disease does not pass through the egg. However, that bird is still a carrier, will be for life. Birds that are vaccinated, can still get it, but never develop the symptoms, and not shed the virus like an unvaccinated bird... It is all so confusing...

Well the fact of the matter is this, in my case I have 3 options... 1, cull all the birds. Wait till after winter, possibly get new birds, but never allow chicks to be hatched here, and have to purchase new birds every season that are already vaccinated. 2, never have birds again. or 3, vaccinate all the birds I have now, including the remaining phoenix. Vaccinate any chicks that are hatched here, and hope the immunity they get from their moms will be enough to protect them until they've built up a resistance, while maintaining a closed flock, This means, no new birds in from outside, and no birds out unless it is in the form of an egg.

Fact of the matter, unless I am willing to put my birds in a sterile confinement, which I am not, there's going to be the probability even with vaccinating, that I am going to experience mareks problems with a bird or two over the course of my chicken keeping.

On another note, though, the vaccine is only like $20 a bottle, and the cost of a box of needles to give each bird a dose, so even though I'll be losing 900 doses at the end of vaccinating, it's still cheaper than losing birds that have been fed for 4 months.

Hope I made sense... Didn't sound to much like a back hick idiot.

I am so sorry you're having to go through this with your beautiful flock. I hope the others pull through. Let us know how things progress, hopefully it stops with the vaccinations.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/625129
Yes. The golden I had to cull tonight had the splits... The other two girls are look like they are starting to lose motor control as well, and I hope the hypericum will help, but I know it can be a long shot.
Here is an old thread about the big M .

Not getting it where I wanted but I hope you can find it!
Good luck with your birds!
hugs.gif

Scott

Look on top of this post.

Sorry about this , the link goes to the last post
barnie.gif
not the first like I wanted it to. Anyways I hope that tyou DO NOT have it!

Scott

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom