Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

At the time of this post, it is still Sunday here. Woohoo on the egg. At least now you know to look down when you walk for a while. LOL.

My Criptoe hatched out her two eggs today. She managed to not squish either of the babies this time! Yes, she's stepped on them with her crooked toes before... Usually when she's trying to keep the other birds OUT of her nest box. I moved her out of the nest box now though for the safety of the chicks. They are amber-links x faverolles. They are fuzzy faced little fuzz balls. Now I hope the marans eggs hatch too. Another hen is on those, should be in the next few days.

Hahahahaha love the happy egg add. I am so stoked.

And you are all right, Oz proclaimed a Sunday lay, and although it missed our time zone she hit bang on for you.

I don't think any of our other girls are expected to lay that kind of egg so it has to be her. The others won't be far off though, another week or two is my guess and we might be finding more than one a day. :)

Yippee

I have been following your thread for a while and when we got our first eggs from our australorps at 18 weeks I didn't want to share our good news as you were still waiting and then were told it could be 24 weeks or more - wow we were lucky with ours. But woke up this am to read your exciting post about the surprise left in the yard - yeah - congrats on your first egg! Now at our house my daughter always wants to blow out the first eggs so we can actually keep them but I am guessing you will be splitting this egg up 4 ways :) !

Hi transformerchick!

I had read a few places that they laied 18-20 weeks, so I was super excited at 16 weeks to see the signs start to show....the next two months really dragged on! Would have been fine to hear another laid at 18 weeks, but waiting all the time still would ave been painful.

Did your pullet start and keep laying or did she start and stop a few times after the first?

I don't think this little egg will split in any direction so we are thinking of blowing it out. I am interested to still see how the rest of the egg formed and if it's normal then we could still use it in something. I even gave a thought to sticking it in the incubator for a couple of days to see if Smudge's fertility was working as well as the his riding skills. In all honesty though, that would be just too tempting and I can't go hatch one egg at a time hahahahaha

Thanks for dropping in.

Cheers, Ben

Hi transformerchick!

I had read a few places that they laied 18-20 weeks, so I was super excited at 16 weeks to see the signs start to show....the next two months really dragged on! Would have been fine to hear another laid at 18 weeks, but waiting all the time still would ave been painful.

Did your pullet start and keep laying or did she start and stop a few times after the first?

I don't think this little egg will split in any direction so we are thinking of blowing it out. I am interested to still see how the rest of the egg formed and if it's normal then we could still use it in something. I even gave a thought to sticking it in the incubator for a couple of days to see if Smudge's fertility was working as well as the his riding skills. In all honesty though, that would be just too tempting and I can't go hatch one egg at a time hahahahaha

Thanks for dropping in.

Cheers, Ben

We have been lucky with our 2 Australorps as they started laying both in the same week and I have regularly gone in to the coop to check for eggs and found 1 of the girls in there (Kit and Kat). Now we also have a BLRW the same age who has showed no signs of laying - no squatting, no redness in comb,etc. I assume she has been a bit upset as her playmate (our other hatched BLRW) turned out to be a boy and like you we need to keep the noise down to a minimum (so no roos except when they are in our basement awaiting rehoming :) ) so he had to go to freezer camp. It was such a shame as he was beautiful - always seems to work out that way that those roos are gorgeous and the loudest of the bunch. We have 1 roo who I think figured out that something happens to those chickens who make noise as they go away and never return so he has not crowed at all. Guess he is a keeper. Make sure to post a pic of the blown out egg for us!

Back
Top Bottom