Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Yes, it was what looked like two small soft shelled eggs among the nights droppings.

But after just getting the morning's eggs, there was not a dark one from Curly, so I think her system may have just let two days worth go at once. Either that it it was timed perfectly for a day off.

Yes, it was what looked like two small soft shelled eggs among the nights droppings.

But after just getting the morning's eggs, there was not a dark one from Curly, so I think her system may have just let two days worth go at once. Either that it it was timed perfectly for a day off.

I've had the exact same thing for two days now. I think one of my "teenagers" is growing up!

Ok I have a question. If all my maran chicks are pullets and I get an EE roo or an Americana roo will that result in a green egg from the offspring? I am wanting a very colorful egg basket and right now all I have are brown and cream layers. I want to add some blues greens and speckled. What do you all suggest?

Ok I have a question. If all my maran chicks are pullets and I get an EE roo or an Americana roo will that result in a green egg from the offspring? I am wanting a very colorful egg basket and right now all I have are brown and cream layers. I want to add some blues greens and speckled. What do you all suggest?

That crossing worked to get Olive colored eggs for me. You need to start out with a blue or green or ,even a white layer to end up with blue or green eggs.

Scott

That crossing worked to get Olive colored eggs for me. You need to start out with a blue or green or ,even a white layer to end up with blue or green eggs.

Scott

Olive would be good! I may just add some blue and green layers next spring. I am hoping that my little mystery hen lays a colored egg! Some have suggested that she may be an Easter Egger, but I have no idea!

Last edited:

I am very new to the genetics, but as I understand it is kind of works like this.

A couple of breeds lay blue eggs, many lay white eggs.

Blue eggs are blue all the way through, and white are white all the way through.

Some breeds that lay white eggs, coat the eggs as the last part of the laying process, this coating is brown, think of it as a tint.The egg shell is white on the inside, and brown on the outside, and it you get to it as soon as it's laid, you can scratch off the brown.

They are the three genetic egg colours. Now, where the colour range comes from, is the amount of coloured genes there are that 'tint' the egg.

In a perfect world, a light blue layer crossed with a cream layer will give a light green tinted egg, as the light brown tint is applied over the blue shell. The darker the brown gene (Maran's or in our case Barnevelder) the darker the green 'should' be, making it more olive than mint.

Blue to white should still yield a blue, but may be more defined and look sky or powder blue.

My understanding of the reds and purples are from diluting the dark browns, or in our Australorp's case, more form the bloom coating than actual shell colour.

EE's are a mix, so they can throw all kinds of colours, including plain old brown. I am not sure how well the first generation crossed EE's work out but in a couple of days we will be setting our first!

I am pretty sure for the best results, a line should be created, where the kids are bred back to the same rooster in the following year to strengthen the colours, but I can't keep Smudge that long.

I hope that helped to some degree.

Great explanation! I didn't realize blues were all the way through the shell, and so had been confused about greens and olives.

Thanks!

All of our blue colored eggs are in shell, not on shell like Ben said. Some of our green and olive egg colors are in shell and some are on shell. I'm still working on how that works out.
Scott

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom