Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

I spend a lot of time on the broody hen threads. I haven't actually had a broody yet but I have this mind set that if I know enough and want it bad enough I can will it to happen. ;) anyway what I have gleaned is that if a hen is for sure broody she will take chicks that are a few days old slipped under her at night no matter how long she has been sitting. However, you need to give her a week or so to make sure she is going the distance. I have a RIR that will sit on a nest all day for weeks but still wants to sleep on the roost. I don't know if she would do that to the chicks. I guess the problem is by the time you KNOW she is in it to win it, the chicks may be to old for her to accept them. There is no hard and fast rule but I would advise against it this time.
Edit for grammar.

Last edited:
Ben I suggest placing some eggs in front of her and seeing if she tucks them under and sits on them for at least a day without getting up for more than a few minutes. If she does I might try to slip the chicks under her when they are no more than 4 days old. Then I would watch her really close. A couple of pecks are normal but constant are not.
Clarabelle did very well with the new Marans chicks after the first day, and they were 3-4 days old when I gave them to her. When I tried to give her a few more when they were older, she wanted nothing to do with them, and would have killed them if I hadn't taken them away.

Unfortunately, something got Clarabelle last night, so my broody machine is gone. :hit

Edit because:
Sorry, I was on my phone and decided its easier on my computer! LOL

Last edited:
Oh sorry to hear about Clarabelle Lindz :(

We have a busy couple of days ahead of us, so we will hold off doing anything new until after the weekend. Give us time to make sure the SPW is serious and make sure the chick are strong enough.

We would also need to convert the rooster box into a broody box but that should be easy enough, see how she takes the move and go from there.

Here's a good way... Throw her out of the box. If she just shakes herself off and goes about her business, she's not ready. If she puffs up the size of a small turkey and grumbles... But with obvious foul mouthed chicken talk... She's ready. Give her some UN-IMPORTANT eggs to sit on... Like, ones you didn't pay mucho dinero for. I have had a broody get very vicious when I tried slipping her chicks when I did a first candle and her eggs were duds. If she were a silkie... I'd say you'd be golden.

You don't need a broody coop necessarily. I leave momma and chicks with the main group. She just needs a safe space right before and for a day or so after hatching. She'll keep the others away. Mother hens are... Well imagine Alicia if some other threatened her boys.... Bet she'd go all medieval on their @$$E$$. Lol

Nice looking coop.
smile.png

Haha - yup. 100% on broody viciousness - oh and I've noticed when they are "really" broody they, well...they smell really weird. I know it sounds strange and I do have an overly sensitive nose, but they have an odd stink about them. Maybe it's a warning to others to stay away...
Betty had a private suite until the chicks were a couple days old - a nest on the ground in a corner. When she acted interested in taking them out I removed the gate and she came and went with them wherever she wanted. It was cute to see the little fuzzbutts mingling with the flock.

So sorry about Clarabelle :(

Oh Ben I'm glad you got something out of the exercise ! If you are going to give the broody thing a go , the sooner the better. I introduced a silkie with splayed legs to a broody with chicks at a week old. The hen didn't have any issues, but the chick kept standing back looking at momma , so I tucked it in under her several times. Can't tell who's who now. It really depends on the hen and whether or not you want to risk it. My best wylkie momma will take chicks at any time. My friend had bought day old barnevelder chicks and didn't realize they needed heat. By the time I got them home a few had died, but she gladly took them under her wing. She wasn't even broody at the time, and has been known to steal chicks from other hens.

And like mother , like daughter. This is chicken little, her daughter. Boy did they have a stand up fight over these chicks. Looks like chicken little won.

Morning all.

It seems nature has answered my questions for me, this morning the SPW was off the nest. Solves a few issues really. Alicia likes the idea of being able to hand rear the Coro's, they are special and she was not overly keen to give them to another mum.....her broody response lol

The chicks still have some firm smeared down, but everything else is fluffy and they seem more active this morning, so far so good!

Back
Top Bottom