Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Sorry mate, we think it has broken down like this;

Male - Female
L/Ara - 2 - 1
Wels - 1 - 3
Mar - 3 - 3
Fav - 1 - 1
Black Aust - 1 - 3
Blue Aust - 2 - 0
BV cross - 0 - 2
BA cross - 2 - 2
12 - 15 - 27 Total

There are one or two swing votes in there with the cross's.

With the two Rocks we think a pair, and the Coro's we are leaning towards two roo's
apart from the blues bros, you did pretty well with some fried chicken as a bonus. How many pullets are you keeping?

Would like to keep one of each but we may have to sell some of our older double up's to keep the residential numbers in check. That would put us around the 14-15 mark...maybe 16 is we keep a Mr for longer than expected.

I can't help but get eggcited when I know that a hatch is imminent. Just put our brrody out for her 'rituals' and checked the eggs. For the first time ever I resisted the urge to candle them. I restricted her to three eggs as I already have three chicks that are eight weeks old.

All three eggs were 'cheeping' no pipping yet, too early but... hatch in minus 1 to 2 days xmas chicks :)

Would like to keep one of each but we may have to sell some of our older double up's to keep the residential numbers in check. That would put us around the 14-15 mark...maybe 16 is we keep a Mr for longer than expected.
Keep the neighbours sweet with blackmail eggs, you'll be fine. If ever I need to restock from scratch I know where to come for chicks. I daren't put any new chicks in with my lot as mine are a mixed flock from goodness knows where and I have no idea if they are free of any problems. I have to stick with those hatched within the flock as then they are resistant to anything that is already there. I have only lost a chick once in three years and that was at a day old. None of my chicks get ill but not taking a chance that there is anything in the flock that could be passed on to disease free babies. I have a big block here though and if you ever need to expand the maternity ward...
wink.png

Talking of which, one chick hatched overnight and the other two are well into the pipping. Another two by this arvo I reckon. Last four lots of hatchings I haven't had a dud egg. Now I am beginning to count my chickens before they hatch! Last nights chick has feathered legs already. Is dark amber/brown and has three stripes running down its back with a dark V on head. I love mixed chicks, you never know what you are going to get

Merry Christmas everyone!

My dad called me tonight and said he was bringing the kids a Christmas present. He said I was probably going to kill him. About half an hour later he showed up with this. .......

Naaaw, Merry christmas to you and your family....and that very cute Heeler!

In fact, Merry Christmas to all those that come along on our journey, have a great day tomorrow, spend it with loved ones and please stay safe if you have to drive.

Ben and family.

Back
Top Bottom