Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

I think you have one of each. One has daintier legs and a pale comb. My two barred rocks I was afraid were males at 12 weeks - big combs - but they weren't. They just get big combs sometimes (see my avatar hen!) And can be extremely bossy which may make them seem male too.
You'd given me hope for my white chick. But now I see pointy saddle feathers coming in and a head like a porcupine. So sad for me as it's ultra friendly and demands cuddles

Have you tried letting Rosie handle introducing them to the flock? My broody-hen-raised chicks lived among the older flock while the human raised chicks who were 9 weeks older would've been chased away and remained in a separate pen.
Also, at five weeks old Rosie may suddenly decide she's done... that's when Betty decided her mom duties were fulfilled, but her chicks were not threatened at all by the flock since they were already accepted.
My two week old chicks and Rusty their mama have recently begun having supervised outings to the main run and indeed the whole three acres although she doesn't venture far with them. As you say in another three weeks she will invariably decide to let them fend for themselves so it's good to let them start mixing now. Even at 2 weeks old they know to run as fast as they can when a dominant hen approaches (especially as their mama is low on pecking order and doesn't defend her chicks very well). They even dive in to any food scraps I put out, darting underneath the big hens feet to get at anything, then they are off like a rocket to hide under the bushes with their loot. LOL

I am not long home from the feed store where I picked up another bag of Grower and a bag of Soy meal.

My plan (which can be adjusted if advised) is to mix in the soy meal with my layer feed. I have enough for approximately a ratio of 2:1 in favor of the layer. I think I may also mix in a few scoops of the grower until my layer bin is empty.

Then I will change over to only grower (the chicks should be close to being off starter feed too) which will make life more simple.

In addition, I will serve shell grit (which feed store says is for calcium not just digestion) as well as some dried egg shell. Normal table scraps and afternoon free range won't change.

I just have to either empty the PVC tube feeder or let it run low before I make the change, in the mean time I will put Rosie and the chicks in the run with the other so I can supervise them.

I will add another feeder and waterer as well so there are plenty of options.

here is a simplified version of my recipe book that would work for someone who just raises a few chicks a year

when feeding chooks (or pigs, goats and humans) the protein is the most important element. Protein is many different amino acids of which in chooks and pigs atleast, lysine is the most important.

TO MAKE 100KG Starter Grower Adult Baby Quail Quail
Weeks of age 0-6 6-12 12+ 0-6 6+
soy meal (kg) 30 15 5 30 30
rice bran (kg) 70 85 95 70 70
Salt (g) 100 100 100 100 100
Vit & Elec (g) 50 50 50 50 50
Amprolium 20% (g) 63 63
bacitracin 25

Protein % 24.8 19.4 15.8 25.8 21.9
Lysene g/kg 13.5 9.8 7.4 13.5 11.5

min protein needed % 23.0 18.0 14.0 28 22
min lysene needed g/kg 11.0 8.5 6.2 16 13

layer feed is pretty close to straight rice bran but rice bran is a tad low in lysine. soy is an amazing source of lysine.

for your purposes, you could substitute layer type feed for rice bran in my recipe.

as i dont start with layer mix, my recipe actually has fish meal and copra meal as well. I like to use 3 or 4 sources as it balances trace elements.

i also add 25 crushed tablets of selenium per 100kg. your mix feed should cover that

calcium is crushed oyster shells which i have in a seperate feeder ad lib

my digestive grit is sand and gravel to 4mm ad lib

Unless they are using oyster shell in their shell grit I would take that with a grain of salt. Anything is possible.
Thanks, I didn't think it was for calcium but I keep getting told it is, not sure if I was right or the people selling it, sometimes you have to wonder lol

I have an ice cream containers worth of eggs shells dried and crushed, I will add a small feeder and keep my eye out for a bag of crushed oyster shell.

for your purposes, you could substitute layer type feed for rice bran in my recipe.

as i dont start with layer mix, my recipe actually has fish meal and copra meal as well. I like to use 3 or 4 sources as it balances trace elements.

calcium is crushed oyster shells which i have in a seperate feeder ad lib

my digestive grit is sand and gravel to 4mm ad lib
Thanks Oz, I don't think I am going to go down the path of making my own mix long term, I did the fodder thing for a while and I kind of got over it. I like tipping a bag into our bin and away we go, excpet now we have once again been out done my chicken math. Also, I have had a bit of trouble tracking down soy meal, feed store only had 'crushed soya bean' which from my quick calculation of terminology was the same as soy meal. I think I would get some odd looks asking for anything more exotic....like rice bran hahahaha.

Once this bin is gone of layer, everyone will go onto grower and I will make sure there is a feeder of crushed egg shell/oyster shell mix, in 8-10 weeks everyone will be back on layer.

Now...I have half a bin of starter feed.....what could I possibly do with that hahahahahaha (C'mon Blues Brothers...MATURE!)

You enabler! LOL

I have only used flock raiser for the last several years with oyster on the side. To many age groups, too many boys. LOL

I agree on the BR... one each.

How's your weather up your way Wright? Sucks a big time do.... well, it sucks. LOL

Haven't seen my cousin for a bit...Where has Ever been...

Back
Top Bottom