Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

I saw that pic in our other chat thread.Hopefully I don't sound like a dirty perv, but they are both very attractive young ladies, good thing their dad can manage any lads that come into their lives hahaha.

Good job with the hay, even at your highest price it's still about $4 cheaper than the city shops sell it for. I found a little feed store that sells barley straw for $10, and that's the best I have seen in the metro area. Still a big outlay to pay in one go though.

I saw that pic in our other chat thread.Hopefully I don't sound like a dirty perv, but they are both very attractive young ladies, good thing their dad can manage any lads that come into their lives hahaha.

Good job with the hay, even at your highest price it's still about $4 cheaper than the city shops sell it for. I found a little feed store that sells barley straw for $10, and that's the best I have seen in the metro area. Still a big outlay to pay in one go though.

Lol, dad says he's gonna need a bigger gun.

looks like 1 very happy roo. in a real heavy-duty fence.
edit to add a'blue EE roo'
Scott

Yep, we had to figure out something to keep the neighbors huskies out.... That is rebar panels like they put into concrete flooring.

The DW will use her 30-30 lever action or .22 LR bolt rifle on unwanted/bothering our stock dogs in our yard. Don't have any repeat vists that-away.
Scott
Yes, I so wish that we had a gun that I could shoot!

Geeze and I thought we had dramas with the neighbors cats! Rebar!!!

That Mr is a good looking fellow.
If I had had a gun, this one wouldn't have made it home..... I had ahold of her collar and was going to put her in the building til Hubby came home, but she growled and was struggling and I was afraid of getting bit..... So needless to say, I need to get something that I can shoot myself!

* Note the dead chicken in the background......

That dog is both stunning and scary at the same time. I would love to have my own from a pup, but would find it hard to trust someone elses with eyes like that. Sorry about loosing birds to it.

In local news, one of the Coro's roo's went today to a nice lady with a few LS and one Coro pullet. The other is scheduled to be picked up on Sunday.

All our flock is now on one feed (grower) with free choice eggshell available. No egg issues so far. So much easier with just one feed going!

We have three crowers in the rooster box. I need to put some pressure on some buyers that we have been holding birds for, if not I will pair those pullets with these roo's so we can find them a new home as they are not selling as fast as just roo's.

Sav, the Salmon Fav roo seems to have found a longer term home with us. He has a nice nature and no one seems to want him to go, so we might see if we can breed something resembling the US EE. We have most of the ingredients here, some might just have an extra toe!

Finally, I loaded those pics of our friends flock. If anyone following along here can head over for a read that would be great. I would really like some input to that issue as that family would like to buy two or tree pullets from us, but we are reluctant to sell to them (even though they are friends..awkward moment) until this issue is sorted out.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...these-poorly-chickens-pics-and-story-included

Ben... Florus didn't crow till he was dang near 8 months old. He's not even a very loud or obnoxious crower now... unless all the birds get going... His brother, Mr. Feathers, I gave him away along with my polish when he was about 7 months, and he didn't start crowing at his new home till he was 8 months either. SO, if you are lucky, you'll have a non crower for a while...

Thanks for that Nova, Sav is still quiet, even our 9 week old Coro roo started to crow. They are both sold now. As soon as the first went the second crowed, and I mean as SOON, the lady was putting him in the cage under the patio and the one in the tractor crowed. First time.

A young man came with his dad and bought the second one yesterday, both have gone to good homes. We still have a Welsummer, FWM, and a pecky Araucana to find new homes for and Sav is on the plan to hang around.

I have been considering selling some car stuff I have to fund a new playpen type coop and veggie garden expansion. Have to think about that some more first though.

Everyone else is going well. I approached the family that we have been holding some birds for and asked them if they still intended on taking the pullets to which they replied with a yes, but making it happen seems tricky. It's been 5 weeks now and they are getting 10 week old pullet prices. I feel as though I should honor that price, but I also feel like I am on a bit of a ride unexpectedly growing out birds for free. A few more weeks and they will be POL!

I have also been working with the other family with the poorly flock, it's been slow going trying to get together to talk about their flock and just how bad it is for them. I went over the other day but they were not home, left a bottle of ACV and wormer on their doorstep and facebooked instructions. I hope they have started the ACV at least.

Will make the effort to get back to them tomorrow after work. I want their flock in good condition as they have been asking us for a couple of pullets, but we don't want to send healthy birds into a flock with issues.

Today, we are taking the kids to the local Perth theme park for a splash and some ride, our once a year treat during the big christmas holidays. Now to slide into my togs :)

Oh Lindz, those eggs in a nest, aren't they just picture perfect :) I love seeing them like that, especially when they have a colour range like that, no scratches and clean :)

Good job girls!

Cute Heeler too.

Back
Top Bottom