Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Mr pecker will be happy with all those girls to himself :) I have a few that get all the attention and the others are ignored hmmm, come to think about it only reds and my Blondie seem to be prime choice, the black feathered ones get left out

start your own club

the western australia peckers

you can be pecker head honcho

hahaha !!
lau.gif
you guys crack me up!
gig.gif

Ben I always package them up for sellers, even if they tell me they are bringing a crate. I like using a small cardboard box that's about the same size as the chicken so they can't move around too much, I pack them in nice and snug with straw and make holes in it so they can peek out.

Can't wait Oz.

This morning I began MK II fo the rooster collar, the last home made velcro doodad I made did not work, this one had been on for a couple of hours and so far, not a peep.

I will give it a bit longer before sharing my conclusions. If this works out, we could keep Sav and Mr Peckers. If it works really well we could leave the boys in the coop with the girls and retire the rooster box.

I don't want to get too excited yet though, early days still, but it's performed better than the last one already.

Last edited:
Lol.

I persisted with my trial anti crow collar but it seemed the more effort I put in, the harder Mr Pecker worked at crowing louder and longer. The collar got to a point that was at my maximum tension for an unattended chicken, and he still crowed.

Mr Pecker was hurriedly re-homed to a small dark cold room before I went to work on Monday morning after about an hour of crowing.

We are down to 15 now, 14 females and Sav the Salmon Fav cockerel. He seems to be working on his 'piggy back' skills but is yet to attempt a crow.

I have kept every penny from our sales aside (except two bags of feed) so we can expand our coop. With the idea plagiarised from Fancy, I have been on the look out for a kids cubby house and FINALLY think I have found a cheap run down yet ideal cubby house. Going to check it out over the next couple of days and hopefully get it home over the weekend.

Plan is to set it up, add some insulation/sound proofing, bit of a spruce up and the girls get an upgrade.

Pics if we get it.

Lol.

I persisted with my trial anti crow collar but it seemed the more effort I put in, the harder Mr Pecker worked at crowing louder and longer. The collar got to a point that was at my maximum tension for an unattended chicken, and he still crowed.

Mr Pecker was hurriedly re-homed to a small dark cold room before I went to work on Monday morning after about an hour of crowing.

We are down to 15 now, 14 females and Sav the Salmon Fav cockerel. He seems to be working on his 'piggy back' skills but is yet to attempt a crow.

I have kept every penny from our sales aside (except two bags of feed) so we can expand our coop. With the idea plagiarised from Fancy, I have been on the look out for a kids cubby house and FINALLY think I have found a cheap run down yet ideal cubby house. Going to check it out over the next couple of days and hopefully get it home over the weekend.

Plan is to set it up, add some insulation/sound proofing, bit of a spruce up and the girls get an upgrade.

Pics if we get it.

Nothing wrong with recycling Ben. So long as the timbers are good, it's amazing what a coat of paint can do. I bought one of those flat pack coops and it lasted about 12 months, literally falling down around their ears.

Back
Top Bottom