Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Lol - bug season for us isn't more than mosquitoes and flying fire ants in July and August. We live in an area surrounded by swamp so the mosquitoes are pretty awful - but I'm sure nothing compared to what you have there! Haven't seen a bug outdoors in sooooo long. I miss bugs.
On my last trip I did not get one Mosquito bite at the farm. The dry season is great that way.

Christmas requires me to have an intimate relationship with repellants when wandering through the farm and at dusk around the house.

We have few other bugs. The house geckos are wonderful at keeping things in check.

Whoa, I didn't realise it had been so long since I did an update!

Life has been going well, I still log in daily for my poultry fix, but not a great deal has changed of late.

My Cocobeach poultry shirt arrived :D

none of the 'middle' girls are laying yet, they are now nearly 21 weeks old. Marrie the Maran and Summer the Welsummer are very close. Both have bright red faces, widening of the pelvic bones. Marrie squatted yesterday and all four of them seem REALLY interested in pulling the stuffing out of teh nest boxes.

Not long until we see a brown egg appear I think!

Would be nice, as it seems the older girls are either going into or just coming out of a molt. Our egg count is down to 2-3 a day from 8 layers, sometimes it's 0-1. Just enough to keep out family in supply, but kind of dismal considering we are feeding 13 girls hahahaha

Sav the rooster is still here, and going well. I have seen him try have his way a couple of times, but he is still a bit awkward. I have noticed a big drop off in Luna's 'moaning'. At first I thought it was just her egg song and way to complain about the heat, but since our cockerels started to crow she has taken a back seat. Maybe the moaning was more than an egg song?!

The little rocks are not so little now, sizing up nicely and are now for nearly 15 weeks. I am yet to look up when that breed tends to come into lay but they still look a fair way off.

My concern over Rosie seems to be for nothing. She still has a wobbly crop late afternoon, but it's small and firm in the morning so I think it may just be her. It's been that way for a few weeks now and she seems just fine. Good news, but like always I will keep an eye on her.

Hope you are all keeping well.

Whoa, I didn't realise it had been so long since I did an update!

Life has been going well, I still log in daily for my poultry fix, but not a great deal has changed of late.

My Cocobeach poultry shirt arrived :D

none of the 'middle' girls are laying yet, they are now nearly 21 weeks old. Marrie the Maran and Summer the Welsummer are very close. Both have bright red faces, widening of the pelvic bones. Marrie squatted yesterday and all four of them seem REALLY interested in pulling the stuffing out of teh nest boxes.

Not long until we see a brown egg appear I think!

Would be nice, as it seems the older girls are either going into or just coming out of a molt. Our egg count is down to 2-3 a day from 8 layers, sometimes it's 0-1. Just enough to keep out family in supply, but kind of dismal considering we are feeding 13 girls hahahaha

Sav the rooster is still here, and going well. I have seen him try have his way a couple of times, but he is still a bit awkward. I have noticed a big drop off in Luna's 'moaning'. At first I thought it was just her egg song and way to complain about the heat, but since our cockerels started to crow she has taken a back seat. Maybe the moaning was more than an egg song?!

The little rocks are not so little now, sizing up nicely and are now for nearly 15 weeks. I am yet to look up when that breed tends to come into lay but they still look a fair way off.

My concern over Rosie seems to be for nothing. She still has a wobbly crop late afternoon, but it's small and firm in the morning so I think it may just be her. It's been that way for a few weeks now and she seems just fine. Good news, but like always I will keep an eye on her.

Hope you are all keeping well.
the t shirt looks great

i am glad all things are well

the rocks kick into laying around the same time as rhode islands

Blue is your color ;)
My barred rocks started laying at 18-19 weeks. My salmon favs -both Baby and Daisy- took the longest. My wheaten marans took forever too but she's the odd one that prefers to be inside the dark coop and rarely sees sunshine.
So glad Rosie is okay - I get pretty stressed when one of mine seems a little off. Daisy had a puffy droopy looking eyelid one day and I found all the horrible things it could be and was worried. It turned out to be a little scratch underneath once the swelling reduced the next day.
Contemplating a mini hatch, not a birthday hatch but later in the month. It looks like Solomon (Baby's chick) won't be sticking around long-term so I'd like to get a couple pullets from him and Daisy before he goes. Maybe I'll be lucky and have a broody to raise them, but I really like using the incubator. Lol, maybe she'll take over after they hatch.
I'll check in with you on Sav's progress to see if you're in for a hatch along!

th

Where is everyone? This thread has been quiet for awhile!
idunno.gif

I've been watching for posts - not use to this thread being so quiet. Cute pics! Love the one with the two chicks watching the same spot in the grass. Ben, I have Daisy and Solomon separated from the flock. I'm collecting eggs next week and warming up the DYI incubater the following weekend. I'm planning on setting just a super small group...like six...if I can resist adding eggs from others. Wish I could get some pures from her with Bruno in the same hatch but that seems unlikely. How are Sav and his girls getting along? Any new layers?

Back
Top Bottom