Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

I'd keep four or a couple dozen, lol. You'll enjoy them. Males and females show gender by two weeks. My last hatch I was in denial until about 4wks because I had only 1 pullet out of 7. I kept thinking the more messy colored ones must be girls. Nope. At two weeks if you see black anywhere, then figure they're boys, especially on the chest or legs. Females have cream chests and leg feathers.

I'm raising a m/f pair of Faverolles right now, they're just at 6 weeks! I thought the same thing as you about the black, when their wingtips came in black at 1 week I thought they were both cockerels. But lo and behold, the 2nd row of feathers came in tan/brown and sure enough, she's a pullet! I was making guesses at 1 week, but I was completely certain at 2 weeks old.

as for temprament, they were really really flighty and timid as chicks but I have won them over with handfuls of ground oatmeal. they're very friendly now :) I am raising them with 14 wyandottes who are 3 weeks younger. I hope that this will help to address pecking order issues by having the Favs at the top as the oldest. The little wyandottes seem to think the Favs are their parents, I swear they will even try to sleep under the pullet's breast. They copy everything she does as if she were a hen. I hope this makes for a fantastic broody mama when she's older! :)

here are some pictures when they were little and I was trying to sex!

1 week old - see the black on the wings and the back? that is the PULLET! omg
ep.gif

2 weeks old - pullet

2 weeks - cockerel

Thank you Bens-Hens!!! :frow Hi fancychooklady!!! Hi Wrightsx4! I am glad it could be helpful, thanks! I hope so, they are very pretty! I love talkative chickens, my white faced spanish is a talker, but he is more a talker because he gets mad :rant when his hens come to me. our Barred Rock are very verbal hens as well. Brahma are fairly quiet as are the Legbar. Serama talk to our daughter but not much to me unless I call them late for dinner. :lau I am wondering at the size of them. I just read that they are timid and can get picked on. I pray not!
So cute.

I'd keep four or a couple dozen, lol. You'll enjoy them. Males and females show gender by two weeks. My last hatch I was in denial until about 4wks because I had only 1 pullet out of 7. I kept thinking the more messy colored ones must be girls. Nope. At two weeks if you see black anywhere, then figure they're boys, especially on the chest or legs. Females have cream chests and leg feathers.
I would like more, but we just don't have the space for too many more.

Now I have seen a pair develope, it is pretty easy to tell the sex from two weeks. I think ours were a bit harder since there is so little black in our Sav, but it was pretty easy for the more expereinced people to tell.

Our pair. Sav and Sal

I can't remember the age, but even with Sav's epic amount of white it was clear.

I am sure you will love 'em!

lau.gif
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

here they are now, 6 weeks old
smile.png

with her "babies"

how cute! thank you! what type are they?
Quote: they are pretty! thank you!

I have tried talking about a heap of chickenese recipes while walking around teh run in an effort to promote egg production. Didn't really work.

Been thinking of new ways to lure some golden yolked goodness from our younger girls. The time period 'any day now' is actually quite long hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom