Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Happy Birthday Ben!
Lovely collection of eggs. We are currently getting between 4 - 6 eggs a day out of our flock of 12 (1 rooster, 7 hens and 4 pullets) which is quite good for this time of year. Should be full steam ahead in the egg department by July. My Australorps lay best in winter which makes no sense at all however no complaints here. They start moulting in Autumn and everyone is laying again by winter.
Your SPW should start Laying eggs soon. We have one one 3.5 year old hen that didn't start laying until 65 odd weeks. That is extremely unusual from my line of birds as they usually lay at 22-24 weeks, however you always get an individual hen that likes to do her own thing lol. Wyandotte's can be notorious for maturing late.

I had read 'dottes could come in late...but a year took me by surprise lol. We have seen here playing around with the nest boxes lately so hopefully she is not too far off.

Thanks for the well wishes.

CB, I also tagged you in some posts in teh australorp thread about your early sexing technique by comb thickness. I could not really explain in great detail but it would be nice if you could drop in and elaborate on the method.

Ok Ben, I will go have a look in the Australorp thread. The method I use is quite simple and isn't that detailed but it most definitely works. It would be great if I had some comparison pics between pullet and cockerel comb thickness but I generally never take photos of chicks which is bad of me. I will try and elaborate on your post as much as I can however you probably explained it as well as I could lol.

Happy birthday Ben.
1f604.png

Happy Birthday Ben!
Lovely collection of eggs. We are currently getting between 4 - 6 eggs a day out of our flock of 12 (1 rooster, 7 hens and 4 pullets) which is quite good for this time of year. Should be full steam ahead in the egg department by July. My Australorps lay best in winter which makes no sense at all however no complaints here. They start moulting in Autumn and everyone is laying again by winter.
Your SPW should start Laying eggs soon. We have one one 3.5 year old hen that didn't start laying until 65 odd weeks. That is extremely unusual from my line of birds as they usually lay at 22-24 weeks, however you always get an individual hen that likes to do her own thing lol. Wyandotte's can be notorious for maturing late.

Happy Birthday to you Ben :)

Back
Top Bottom