Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Yes, especially if they have the right amount of black...unlike ours who refuses to conform to any sort of standard, that and I was in denial I had a roo.

I also seem to recall another happy birthday is due for Pam.....is it today or the 12th? I don't have time to go back through a years posts lol

Either way, Happy Birthday Pam, hope the weather is getting nice enough to get out for a run for you. I have my very first Ultra Marathon (50km or 31 miles) this weekend, I am pretty nervous! I have arep in my neighborhood as 'that crazy night running guy' Hahahaha

Lol - I would love if the roadsides dried up (still ice/muck) for a good outdoor run by the 12th :D. It's supposed to be sunny and around 50° (10°c)this week for highs so maybe. The treadmill is getting unbearable. I have been running my miles, just not enjoying them much. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I have a short day at work so maybe we'll do something fun.
Candled our 12 eggs today - all are showing lots of activity inside. Yay!

Yes, especially if they have the right amount of black...unlike ours who refuses to conform to any sort of standard, that and I was in denial I had a roo.

I also seem to recall another happy birthday is due for Pam.....is it today or the 12th? I don't have time to go back through a years posts lol

Either way, Happy Birthday Pam, hope the weather is getting nice enough to get out for a run for you. I have my very first Ultra Marathon (50km or 31 miles) this weekend, I am pretty nervous! I have arep in my neighborhood as 'that crazy night running guy' Hahahaha
i have 100% confidence you will finish it.

when are you signing up for the kona iron man?

good luck mate

I am confident I can finish, just not sure if I can make the goal I have set. Part of me says I can do it with confidence, and another screams "yo one crazy mofo!" lol

Some good news, Sav did sell, he found a new home with some people with 1.5 acres just north of town. Even paid more than we were asking for him. Very happy with that outcome.

Our Fav has been laying 2.3 days lately, similar from our Welsummer and the new Maran layer has laid 2 or 3 too, each a little darker than that last. None are as dark as every one wants yet, but time wil tell. I think her darkest so far is as dark as a good quality Wellie or Barnie.

Nothing from Olive yet....keen to see what she throws.

31 miles...that's insane! I have confidence you'll do it and probably exceed your goal - let us know! So happy Sav found a good home:D
@sally sunshine - just realized on the HAL thread that your favs are blue salmons, so you won't see black on the boys. At 2-3 weeks the boys will have slate feathers coming in on the breast and legs. Girls will be all salmon/white. They'll be so pretty!

Last edited:
I am confident I can finish, just not sure if I can make the goal I have set. Part of me says I can do it with confidence, and another screams "yo one crazy mofo!" lol

Some good news, Sav did sell, he found a new home with some people with 1.5 acres just north of town. Even paid more than we were asking for him. Very happy with that outcome.

Our Fav has been laying 2.3 days lately, similar from our Welsummer and the new Maran layer has laid 2 or 3 too, each a little darker than that last. None are as dark as every one wants yet, but time wil tell. I think her darkest so far is as dark as a good quality Wellie or Barnie.

Nothing from Olive yet....keen to see what she throws.
HA HA HA

31 miles...that's insane! I have confidence you'll do it and probably exceed your goal - let us know! So happy Sav found a good home:D
@sally sunshine - just realized on the HAL thread that your favs are blue salmons, so you won't see black on the boys. At 2-3 weeks the boys will have slate feathers coming in on the breast and legs. Girls will be all salmon/white. They'll be so pretty!
Awesome! so no feather sexing them as day olds? this bums me out, I wonder if I could attempt vent sexing a few, I really dont want them all!
I am disapointed with the sale of my white faced spanish chicks and eggs, I was talking to hubs last night about switching them out, I really love them, he wants to keep them for eggs since they lay so awesome, but I need to be making money off of what I have, and they are not paying for their feed, its such a shame as they are strong breed all around. Anyways, he loves the LAV ameracauna we hatched, and we are debating selling off WFS and trying something not so rare and that people will buy more of. so it could be the lavs or these guys, not sure on how these would sell though, since females look wheaten anyways right? sighhhh I am so confused lol

I will be sure to report back.

Now I have to go and google what Sally's Blue Salmon Faverolles are going to look like!
I have googled them, not too many images unfortunately!

Back
Top Bottom