Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics of our journey.

Hey Ben, imagine how much the kids would love these. Mother natures finest little incubators.

Yes......yes indeed. I think much like the Faverolle's, Alicia would fall in love AFTER has patted them. I don't think I could pull it off with an NN but some silie action is a must!

Really tempted to bypass nature again and order two dozen mixed from you and incubate them!

I bet they are all soft to touch like a childs toy too.

Yes......yes indeed. I think much like the Faverolle's, Alicia would fall in love AFTER has patted them. I don't think I could pull it off with an NN but some silie action is a must!

Really tempted to bypass nature again and order two dozen mixed from you and incubate them!

I bet they are all soft to touch like a childs toy too.

Lol, is that sillie action or silkie action?
Yes, they are definately the ' teddy bear ' of the chicken world.

Finally made it through this thread too, now I can follow both your and the Crazy Ozzy Chicken Mans journeys! Although I might need a new thread to binge read next... As Oz's thread, this too has been thoroughly entertaining. Now I might start spamming it too with some annoying fun trivia about Finland and our flock. Then a short introduction:

I'm Felix from Finland, new to chickeneering. Our firsthatched are at 10 weeks today, and the younger ones are 7 weeks old. On Sunday we're going to go pick up three young ladies who where born in late January, so soon I shall be (in)patiently waiting for our very first homegrown eggs (It's a bit of cheating, but we wanted to get some eggs a bit earlier and the homehatched one's are going to take some maturing still).

Here's a picture of our soon to be layers from a few weeks ago. They're Finnish Alho's, a traditional breed. Hopefully they will integrate to our flock well, apparently they're a bit eccentric, they just keep to themselves at their current lodgings and don't care too much about what the others do. But I suppose sisters are like that.

And here's a (bad) shot of our current residents. Three boys among them though, so we'll have to slim down numbers at some point. The small ones are Speckled Sussex'es, then there's a Marans pullet, and the rest are Araucana-Marans mixes (Would that qualify as an EE?).

Well hi Felix and welcome! Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. If you have made it this far through our experience and Oz's then you must we well hooked on chickeneering....welcome to the club!

10 weeks is coming along nicely and I can see the temptation in sneaking in some older birds to speed up the wait. Those first eggs seem to take FOREVER! We are still waiting for our Rocks to lay (25 weeks now), and I think we have officially given up on Amy the Wyandotte, at 58 weeks I think she skipped puberty and went straight to menopause.

Don't be a stranger now you out from under the covers. I look forward to seeing some pics of your flock full size, hard to find good pics on the net.

Well hi Felix and welcome! Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. If you have made it this far through our experience and Oz's then you must we well hooked on chickeneering....welcome to the club!

10 weeks is coming along nicely and I can see the temptation in sneaking in some older birds to speed up the wait. Those first eggs seem to take FOREVER! We are still waiting for our Rocks to lay (25 weeks now), and I think we have officially given up on Amy the Wyandotte, at 58 weeks I think she skipped puberty and went straight to menopause.

Don't be a stranger now you out from under the covers. I look forward to seeing some pics of your flock full size, hard to find good pics on the net.
Don't tempt me, I might dig out the SLR and snap a few hundred pics of the feathered little fellows... Shame about the Wyandotte, I sure hope all of ours are quick to start pushing out some lovely colourful little bum nuts as you say. Store bought organic eggs taste ok, but nothing compares to homo grown.

*Edit, home grown was what I meant. I'm sure the sexual orientation of the bird/birdkeeper doesn't affect the taste.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom